•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 Aveo clutch pedal goes to floor

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

04 Aveo clutch pedal goes to floor

Hey all,

Trying to solve a problem with the clutch pedal on my 04 Aveo. I went to shift into gear the other day and the clutch pedal was hard to push, to the point where it would only go down about half way as far as it usually does. I made the mistake of pushing it harder, and it lost all pressure and went all the way down to the floor. Now it just flops up and down with no resistance at all.

I checked under the hood and the brake fluid reservoir is full. It looks like there is some fluid leaked on top of the transmission. I was able to find where the master cylinder is mounted to the firewall but don't see any fluid leaked around there. Moving the clutch pedal up and down by hand doesn't show any movement in the brake fluid reservoir and the connecting rod on the back of the clutch pedal that goes through the firewall is still connected on the pedal side.

Any common failure points in the hydraulic system I should start with? I ordered a slave cylinder on Amazon today ($27) and was going to start with that since it looks easy enough to replace right in the front. The clutch system is one area I haven't tackled yet so any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Dan

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Update: slave cylinder came in yesterday and I replaced it. While I had the old one out I inspected it and found that the seal was blown. (from me pushing the pedal too hard)

Bled the system properly and now I'm back to the hard clutch pedal. If I disconnect the slave cylinder from the metal clutch release lever/fork that goes into the transmission then the pedal feels normal and has the proper resistance but is obviously not hooked up.

So basically I'm at the point where the clutch release lever is either stuck or in the wrong position... Any ideas before I dig into this more? After some more research sounds like my symptoms are similar to this:http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/c...87/index2.html

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Very possible. Unfortunately the only way to find out will be to take out the Transmission and have a good look at everything.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      Very possible. Unfortunately the only way to find out will be to take out the Transmission and have a good look at everything.
      You might want check the linkage near the trans to see if the working smooth or jamming.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Update: it was the clutch lever that was bent after all. I tried to bend it back and it broke off at the weld on top. Sooo I got to drop the transmission after all. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to get it out of the car... first time dropping a transmission haha. While I was in there I replaced the lever and did a clutch job.

After extensive searching I kept getting conflicting answers on how to add more gear oil since I lost some when removing the drive axles. Finally found this pic for the fluid level hole: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/m...96/index2.html (was same spot on my 04). My plug has a magnet on it and had accumulated some gunk that I cleaned off.

Hopefully getting it all back together tonight! Taking my time since this isn't my daily driver... yet.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      How heavy is the Transmission? Im taking mine out this weekend and im doing as much research as I can.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I am having the same problem and would like to know if u were able to fix your aveo, I'm at a loss right now and could use the help please email me terrylambert18@gmail.com thanks so much!!!

Thanks
      did you get a part number on that lever? Mine just broke off yeaterday

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Here you go: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/c...~96144874.html

GM Part # 96144874

Good luck with the repair if you're going the DIY route! One of the easiest transmission removal jobs I've done since it's such a small one.

Thanks
      Any tips or tricks or supplies you would like to share to make this job even easier?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast