•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: i bought new light bulbs

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: i bought new light bulbs

damn mike, are you a teacher? i swear, every week you come up with these lessons. thnx for the pm btw. im checking it out now

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3084956

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

not a teacher, just a security guard. hope it gets ya started in the direction you want to go.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

well i'm vp of operations for a large bus company and i dont know sh*t. mike is a wealth of untapped knowledge and has steered me in the right direction on many a question, not to mention all the other guys and girls on this forum that are very helpful.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      hids in a halogen bowl actually hurt ur vision.
      Fact. I had a huge post on here quite some time ago showing the difference.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      well i'm vp of operations for a large bus company and i dont know sh*t. mike is a wealth of untapped knowledge and has steered me in the right direction on many a question, not to mention all the other guys and girls on this forum that are very helpful.

i dont do anything, i just repost what i have already learned on this forum and has long since been buried.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I am probably late to the party on this, but here are some highlights about HID.

MISCONCEPTIONS

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.
      ************************************************** ****************************************

So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?

Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

hmm well i ordered a set of 8000k from germany, they were said to be white. so when i get hem i will figure it out anyway. but point is the number is wrong and my color will be right (hopefully).

on a second note. i have silvania silverstar lights in my housings and they have yet to explode. as was said before what i had before was just poorly made ****.
      Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3084956

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

8000k is closer to a bluish purple

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234