•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT: Cut springs

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Cutting one coil, the ride did not change from stock. Cutting 3, I imagine it will. If you can afford it, go with H&R, if you cant and you want it low or if you want it low but don't want the stiff ride then go with these cut stock springs.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      id rather have a stiff ride than a bumpy ride

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      if you cut your stock springs, your ride will be crap, you will loose your spring rate and your shocks not too soon there after if you dont cut them right. basically your car will be held up by your shock. i always thought that cutting stock springs was for ricers any ways. save your money and buy some h&rs or something and get a real drop, you can cut those but make sure you have the right shocks that can support it, and in our situation theres not, so just dont cut them too much. Personally, i think cutting spings is right up there with paper mache body kits and leaf blower turbos......

Well i dont have the stock springs and i wouldnt have cut those either, there is no real way to proove to you guys what i said, the car does have 80k and the stock shocks are still there and they are still good, the ride is firm and not bouncy, i guess i did it right (a friend of mine has a 1300$ coilover system on his golf and he actually likes the ride in mine better)

i still have the stock brakes for crying out loud lol, the only thing thats starting to worry me is the timing belt, but the way i run the car i wonder why it hasnt snapped yet lol, i should try to make a video but i dont have a camcorder

-----------------------------------------
      Interesting post i found on daewootech about cutting springs:
      http://www.brickboard.com/ARCHIVES/1999 ... 7837.shtml
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It's hard to tell when your shocks/struts are bad by the ride quality sometimes. The real test is taking a fast bumpy turn. If the back washes then your shocks are probably bad. I thought mine were good but when I took it apart I could easily slide the shaft in and out. In fact one of the fronts couldn't even keep it up. (why does that not sound right?)

Khan - my ride was not bouncy in fact I couldnt tell a difference from stock. Go ahead and get the H&R's they are great. I just hope KYB makes some replacement front struts soon.

Nemasys - I don't doubt your ride quality. My car rides good on known bad shocks. Turns pretty good too though there is a lot of slop in the steering. I hope to get rid of most of it with lower profile tires. I'm also more sensative to my cars behavior than most.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12