•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

oli
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Need advice

Hello everybody. I live in Greece. I want to buy the Aveo LTZ but friends advice me not to because the car has too many reliability problems. I need your opinion! Thank you.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Well it gets good gas mileage. As long as you change your oil and the timing belt and its components on time, there is not much that will go wrong with the car beside the normal other stuff just like all the rest of the cars. Yeah there are some recalls but every car out there has recalls as well. Ford, Chevy, Dogde, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, and all the rest of them have recalls in the last year on all makes and models and years. All small compact car have an interference engine and you will have to change timing components on them as well. The newer model of cars have less of a tolerance so they dont crash an engine as bad when the belt lets go but if you change the belt and components you should be fine.

oli
      Thanks
      Thank you 05Aveo. Things are a little different in Europe. Chevrolet leaves the continent by 2016 meaning that it may be an issue getting replacement parts for the cars. Also unknown is who is going to carry out the warranty and the service of the new cars.

Thanks
      Oh yeah that would be bad deal then but is the car brand new. If you did choose this car, you could work on it yourself after they left and you could get parts at RockAuto.com. They are way cheaper than everyone else. But I could understand your hesitation to go with Chevy if they leave in two years.

Thanks
      If you like Chevrolet then buy yourself an Opel. I had one while I lived in Germany for three years. It is a good car and great on gas milage. It didnt have much power but mine was old. I had bought a used one off someone else. It was a dependable car and that part of GM is not pulling out of Europe.

oli
      Thanks
      I am kind of stuck! See, i like this particular car because is loaded. It has features that Opel models marketed in Greece don't have and the price tag is very low. The fact is that people don't buy it and this make me reluctant to go ahead. I'll have to make a serious conversation with the dealer.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hello there! Might as well throw my thoughts in ~

The thing about GM is that they like to streamline manufacturing for lower production costs. This means a LOT of models share the same parts! For example, the new Aveo is built on GM's Gamma II platform, which the Opel Mokka shares.

And that's not the only thing shared! The engine is shared with other Opel vehicles as well, (you could probably hand pick parts from the Astra).

I would however recommend getting the 1.4L turbo, as it uses a timing chain rather than a timing belt. Timing chains typically don't need serviced *quite* as much.

Long story short: go ahead and get the car you really want, because GM likes to clone cars between Opel, Chevrolet, Holden, and Vauxhall!

Happy driving

oli
      Thanks
      Parts compatibility is my hope. I am interesting in the diesel version of the car which uses the Opel Corsa engine. Any way i 'll have a discussion with the dealer today to clarify the issue. Hopefully he 'll be honest with me. Thank you for your reply!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oli View Post
      Parts compatibility is my hope. I am interesting in the diesel version of the car which uses the Opel Corsa engine. Any way i 'll have a discussion with the dealer today to clarify the issue. Hopefully he 'll be honest with me. Thank you for your reply!
      What did you choose? I am interested in which engine did you go with and what made you choose it? What won you over?

oli
      Thanks
      Hi! Finally i decided to order the Aveo (Chevrolet Sonic in the States) LTZ sedan. Turbo diesel engine 95HP loaded with every option including mylink, manual 6 speed gearbox and 16 inch alloy wheels. it is my choice for the price of the car, the size, and the the whistles and bells it carries. The car will be delivered around May 10. They assured me that there will be no problem regarding service and parts availability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast