•  
    Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      gunzie,
      Follow the steps listed. After installing the belt, turn it, by hand (dont use the starter), so the crank spins 4 times, than inspect the timing marks to make sure they are still lined up. After that, back the tension off as shown. You will get a whining sound if it is to tight, kind of like a sewing machine. Mine still is running a little rough, but I know the injectors need to be replaced. Thats the next thing on my to do list.
      Good Luck.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gunzie View Post
      what if the belt was already off when I started this project. not able to make marks on old timing belt to compare to new belt! what is the best way to set the belt to cam gears? Have replaced belt (twice) and still get a real rough idle going to have to do it again. checked marks and all was lined up. what am I doing wrong?
      If you had the cam/crank marks lined up correctly, and also got it to run (at all), then you most likely were ok with that part of it. If it had been a full rotation out of synch, you would have crunched up some valves and maybe other stuff as well. Plus, if you wouldn't have been able to do the required 2 full turns by hand either.
      So, why was the belt off when you started the job? If it had broken while running, then there's likely to be one or more bent valves resulting from that breakage. And maybe some other engine damage beyond the valves as well. Was that the case - had the belt broken while running? If not, do you know how it was running before the belt was removed?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      If you had the cam/crank marks lined up correctly, and also got it to run (at all), then you most likely were ok with that part of it. If it had been a full rotation out of synch, you would have crunched up some valves and maybe other stuff as well. Plus, if you wouldn't have been able to do the required 2 full turns by hand either.
      So, why was the belt off when you started the job? If it had broken while running, then there's likely to be one or more bent valves resulting from that breakage. And maybe some other engine damage beyond the valves as well. Was that the case - had the belt broken while running? If not, do you know how it was running before the belt was removed?
      it was running great before. Had a leak from the oil pump so replaced the pump and decided to change the belt tenioners and water pump while I had it all open and pulled the belt before marking them ?? Yea had not read this post??? I think I have got it to stay lined up. turned it twice before and stayed. but this time I took the covers off and it was off mark! turned it 6 to 8 times now and stayed lined up hope this works!!!

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Is this the same for a 2009 Chevy Aveo ? I am new here but I need help on replacing my Timing belt -
      Should I get the kit ? or just change the belt ?
      Any help would be great . Thank you

All so (not sure if this is the right place but ) how do I change my transmission filter ? 2009 Chevy Aveo
      Non hatch back
      Thank you

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Get the kit.
      You want to replace your tensioners at the same time, and you will save money this way.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
      Is this the same for a 2009 Chevy Aveo ? I am new here but I need help on replacing my Timing belt -
      Should I get the kit ? or just change the belt ?
      Any help would be great . Thank you

All so (not sure if this is the right place but ) how do I change my transmission filter ? 2009 Chevy Aveo
      Non hatch back
      Thank you
      I "think" the 2009's get their first timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles are you that high in mileage?

Thanks
      so my idler pully broke yesterday in 3rd @6000 rpm the car ran for a bit (about a min or two) after that and then quit timing looks to be just out of place what are the odds that i bent anything

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Pretty Good. Once they are out, they have very little tolerance. The best way to check is to line them back up, and than slowly spin by hand and make sure that they all close all of the way. You can also run your cylinder pressure and make sure it is ok it you want, which will tell you if they are closing 100% or not.

Thanks
      well after 5 hours of work i replaced the timing belt and water pump, ten pulley and idler pulley car turns over no odd sounds but refuses to start it popped once or twice but thats about it so this week looks like i will have to do a compression test and what not if it is a blown engine and i need to do a swap does anyone know hard hard it would be to drop a 2.0 or 2.2 in an aveo?
      Last edited by ajk148700; 02-26-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Check y our compression. You might have some bent valves. I did.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast