•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/T service: Do I need a machine?

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      For future reference, what is the recommended change interval?
      I change it every 50,000 km's/30,000 miles as recomended by the dealer but the owners manual shows every 60,000 km's/37,500 miles:

c/p 2008 aveo owners manual

37,500 Miles (60 000 km)
      ❑ Change automatic transmission fluid if the vehicle is
      mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:
      − In heavy city traffic where the outside
      temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C)
      or higher.
      − In hilly or mountainous terrain.
      − Uses such as found in taxi, police,
      or delivery service.
      If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
      conditions, the fluid does not require changing.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      My Swift has 170,000 kms without an AT fluid change. Don't plan on ever doing it at this point. I'll let you guys know when it fails, and at that point I will head the junkyard to fetch another AT.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

A/T Fluid Change In A 2006 Aveo....How?

Ok. I NEVER thought I could change it myself. I assumed it HAD to be done by a professional company/ or mechanic. Ok, where is the drain bolt on the 2006? No idea where to look for it. What size is this bolt? How much fluid is going to come out? 5 gallons or 1 pint? I mean, I thought an Automatic Transmission had like 5-8 gallons of fluid in it. Some of them. So how much could come out? What type do i put back in, I assume it goes back in through the dipstick filler? Can the fluid be bought at a parts store? Or only ar GM? I would like to do a complete change, even if it takes 3-5 times to get 'clean fluid' in the end. I am at 22,800 miles,on my 2006. Changing the fluid would be GREAT!
      So...can you guys/gals fill me in on these questions? I never thought I could do it, I thought it HAD to be flushed out by a mechanic,...so in the end, how much could this cost me? I know its a hell of a lot less than a new trans.! But how much fluid should I plan on buying, to get ready for 3-5 drains, to try and get it all out? I just changed the oil/filter, put in all Syn. again, I let it go a full 6 months, a huge 2K miles! hahaha. But its done. I would like to do this. But like I said I never thought I could do it. So...if I can,fill me in please. I want to keep it alive and not end up with a new trans. down the road.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Ok. I NEVER thought I could change it myself. I assumed it HAD to be done by a professional company/ or mechanic. Ok, where is the drain bolt on the 2006? No idea where to look for it. What size is this bolt? How much fluid is going to come out? 5 gallons or 1 pint? I mean, I thought an Automatic Transmission had like 5-8 gallons of fluid in it. Some of them. So how much could come out? What type do i put back in, I assume it goes back in through the dipstick filler? Can the fluid be bought at a parts store? Or only ar GM? I would like to do a complete change, even if it takes 3-5 times to get 'clean fluid' in the end. I am at 22,800 miles,on my 2006. Changing the fluid would be GREAT!
      So...can you guys/gals fill me in on these questions? I never thought I could do it, I thought it HAD to be flushed out by a mechanic,...so in the end, how much could this cost me? I know its a hell of a lot less than a new trans.! But how much fluid should I plan on buying, to get ready for 3-5 drains, to try and get it all out? I just changed the oil/filter, put in all Syn. again, I let it go a full 6 months, a huge 2K miles! hahaha. But its done. I would like to do this. But like I said I never thought I could do it. So...if I can,fill me in please. I want to keep it alive and not end up with a new trans. down the road.
      If you read the first page of this thread alot of the answers you are looking for are there. Transmission drain pan is on the driver side and I think it is either a 12 or 13mm bolt.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Has anyone ever done what the video says yet? I was going to try it within the week but i need to figure out were the transmission output is, does anyone know if that will work with the aveos?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12