•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resonator Removal

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Resonator Removal

Bringin' back an ancient "Tales from the CRYPT post"... That Resonator box is a worthless pile of monkey dung. For the love of god, I would suggest EVERYBODY removing the resonator box( the teeheehee 'quiet box' located in the fender well, behind passenger side front bumper, and under your stock air box. DRILL out the honeycomb holes on the passenger side black front bumper piece for a better cold air flow (even if you want to retain the stock air box). NEWBIES can go to the 'G.O.A.T intake' post to see some pics. Just add a K&N filter to the stock box if yer gonna use it, please for your own sanity. WORTHLESS... PILE... of... MONKEY DUNG... Hope you enjoyed another "Tales from the CRYPT post".

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I pulled out the resonator out while cleaning out the dirt in the fenders today, and it does sound nice. Added a nice deep tone under heavy throttle but is still quiet when not pushing it. Also reduced the intake restriction a bit. Before I'd see the manifold pressure drop 3-4 kilopascals at full throttle when over ~5000 RPM, now it's 2-3. I'm reading the MAP with my ScanGauge II, and the OBD-2 data resolution is only 1 kpa so the measurement isn't super precise, a homemade manometer would be better but I'm lazy.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

I think on my 09' I'm just going to do a CAI and fab a lightwieght aluminum shroud to deflect heat, that's the way my k&n CAI system came on my 2000 sierra. High heat paint on the inside and out of the intake tube will help to but I hear that header tape works too, anybody try this?
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

It should work, might look bad

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

I'm just gonna make my shround to look similair to the one on the whitfield racing aveo.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks

pulled my resonator box last night. it seems the 08's pull the air from above the wheel well.

anyway, the car sounds so much better now, and seems a little more peppy than before.

i'm glad i pulled it.

EDIT: typos
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Sooo... this looks like something you could do to familiarize yourself with what you'll need to do to add the CAI? I can't see the original pics; website's moved or unavailable it says. I've changed a tire, a fuse... checked oil & air filter on cars, and that's about it. If I'm not mistaken, just from what I've read, this would save a step when adding a CAI, and be good practice, right?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well, yes and no, you have to take this out to add the cai. but if you take it out and put everything back together, youll have to take it all apart again to put the filter on the cai..

looks like this btw:

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yep, yep! I might still consider doing it in advance. So I'm familiar with the whole process of taking off the wheel liner; don't have to figure that out the same day as the intake, and have one less thing to take off when I do the CAI. Thanks for the pic, too! I have seen this one or one similar in another thread (I think it was the one where you measured the factory intake at the narrowest point-very interesting! : ) Two things I could use some clarification on; the two silver retaining clips... if I'm paying attention, will I just notice these while undoing the 9mm bolts? And second... I'm just gonna be taking off the wheel-well and not the front bumper; correct?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the retaining clips, i think refer to the j clips the screws thread into. they just clip onto the bumper.

you do not remover the bumper, but the 7mm screws go into the bumper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast