•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to "soften" by decreasing shock pressure?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Is it ok to "soften" by decreasing shock pressure?

can i ask, what part of the ride is too harsh?

i would say swapping to 13" tires with more sidewall (if 13" wheels will fit) would give you more cushion without compromising the safety. You could adjust tire pressures to make the tires absorb more road..

being i drive the same car, stock, it was not either too bouncy or stiff. but i want to know what you are trying to "fix"

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

yeah...the stock suspension is very good for this size car... the fact about small cars is they don't have the same weight and momentum as bigger cars... that's why the ride is always a big harsher. like others have said, a softer suspension would make the car more dangerous to drive...

ans decreasing shock pressure will not make the ride smoother... it will make the car bouncier... the springs you'd want to change... not one company that I know of makes softer springs for the Aveo... maybe you'be able to find if GM has different springs depending on the year of the car....
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Banned
      Thanks

Personally, I prefer a stiff suspension. My dad's Nissan Maxima has an UBER-SOFT suspension and I hate it. it floats around corners feeling like it's gonna roll over and it gives u no feel whatsoever through the pedals or the steering wheel. My Monte Carlo is completely different, seeming to find a balance between the 2. It's a firm ride, the car has tons of feedback that inspires confidence in corners. but the ride is still too soft for my liking. Body roll galore on my Z34. Now I've ridden in a Corvette before and felt right at home. and I've heard people describe them as bone-jarringly hard ride. It might have to do with the fact that I'm 20, but still. To get what I mean about my Z34's body roll, here's the motorweek review of my car... the test car just HAPPENS to be identical to my car.
      [youtube:2jcqj0we]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zupMlP5A9Oo[/youtube:2jcqj0we]
      the performance numbers, as usual with motorweek, are way off. 0-60 takes between 7.2 and 7.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile goes by in 15.5 seconds.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      lmao the stock ride is pretty good, changing from stock rims/tires (to a light 15" or 16") make a big difference

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Umm... why exactly did you quote yourself without adding anything, hunter?
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      Umm... why exactly did you quote yourself without adding anything, hunter?
      we need to get him off the drugs lmao
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.

Thanks

LOL... I don't think he even knows what drugs look like... (and Tylenol for Children doesn't count either) :P

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      LOL... I don't think he even knows what drugs look like... (and Tylenol for Children doesn't count either) :P
      I think he took Ecstasy. lol. night club drugs XD

Thanks

now let's give the thread back to herbolero and discuss hunter and his addiction in the Open Forum.. :P

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      can i ask, what part of the ride is too harsh?

i would say swapping to 13" tires with more sidewall (if 13" wheels will fit) would give you more cushion without compromising the safety. You could adjust tire pressures to make the tires absorb more road..

being i drive the same car, stock, it was not either too bouncy or stiff. but i want to know what you are trying to "fix"
      Maybe it's just me, but i don't like it when i could feel on the steering wheel even the small cracks on the road. My everyday route is always within city limits, i prefer a glide-like ride like my former old Toyota Crown, also tried adjusting the tire pressure, it ended with uneven wear on the front tires. My friend has a Korean car with the same dimensions as my Aveo hatch, but it absorbs bumps better. Although i'm not sure if it's as stable as the Aveo on higher speeds. Part of my problem is the unavailability of after markets for that aspect of the Aveo from where i'm at. But i got a lot of new ideas from your suggestions. Yesterday i got a call from a friend who sells surplus parts. He claims that he has some springs that are compatible with the Aveo but are smaller. What i plan to do now is to check them out and see the possibility of getting smaller shocks that could go with them. If i could find the correct parts, i'm expecting a few inches of drop, that i won't mind.

"The best way to deal with sleepiness is to sleep"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast