•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lowest drop?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: lowest drop?

yeah KYB's are a marginal upgrade.

the rears can me replaced with a more universal shock though since they dont have the spring attached. i was going to use adjustable mustang 2 front shocks.. but need to measure the width of the mount and diameter of the piston rod. also i was looking for a comparable sport shock.

for the front i was going to cut down a front and the pipe thread it it accept a vw cap. and put mk1 or mk2 bilstien sport inserts into it (which ever was correct length but a little shorter than stock) and also possible more the spring perche down the body of the shock.

this was all before i found how close we are to the new astra in suspension design, i am trying to find used astra parts to test fit, then i could just buy coilovers for $620 shipped.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Yes. Apex has lowest drop for all lowering spring. I was on apex also previously also before I changed to coilovers.
      Now this coilover can adjust until the whole wheel hide into the wheel arch.

The reason why I changed to coilover is becos, with harder springs (lowering spring usualkly have higher preload), the shock absorber spoil or wear off faster. And unable to cushion the harsher impact or shocks. Coilovers are made or design to work with the preload range of the springs they came with, so its more lasting.

And u will not face the problem of bottoming out your shocks which u face with lowering spring and rubbing of fender by the tyres.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiaogary
      YCoilovers are made or design to work with the preload range of the springs they came with, so its more lasting.

And u will not face the problem of bottoming out your shocks which u face with lowering spring and rubbing of fender by the tyres.
      can you give me some more info on the coilover you have for sale on ebay? its still on my wish list..

i want to know what the total drop possible is, if the shock body is shorter than the oem shocks, if so how much? and if you have some more pictures and such, also what are the spring rates, and dampening rates?

thanks.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

The spring rate is 8kg in front and 6 kg behind. Adjustable preload and height.

Lowest is possible until the whole wheels goes into the arches, but I dont think you need them adjusted so low, as you will be in big trouble without wheel arch rolling when you hit the pot holes. Your wheels might hit the arches or fenders.

So normally people who install this coilover leaves abt 1 finger in front and 1 finger space behind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12