•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: light weight rims?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: light weight rims?

Kosei K1's should be a 15x7. They are light as hell. Very nice wheels. Those 4x100 +38et's will fit perfectly. Are you going to lower the car or stay at stock ride height?

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman AK907
      Kosei K1's should be a 15x7. They are light as hell. Very nice wheels. Those 4x100 +38et's will fit perfectly. Are you going to lower the car or stay at stock ride height?
      http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... ey+Painted

14, 15 and 17 inch available

the 14 inch is the one @ 9lbs

i'm not ruling out the possibility of a slight drop

Thanks

If you are going with a slight drop and want to stay within the same overall wheel size you should upgrade to 15x7 K1's with 195/50R15 tires. these are 10mm wider for larger more aggressive footprint, but will not rub suspension components and it is actually 1mm shorter than stock. With this size you would actually be going 59.9mph when your speedo reads 60mph. If you are planning to stay at stock height with the same size rim I would recommend you go with a 205/50R15 strictly for the performance and drivability gain. You would be 9mm taller than stock and 20mm wider. With this size you'd be going 60.9mph when the speedo says 60mph. Just some info for you to consider. I've been looking at the same exact wheels for Auto-X this summer on my Aveo...undecided thus far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman AK907
      If you are going with a slight drop and want to stay within the same overall wheel size you should upgrade to 15x7 K1's with 195/50R15 tires. these are 10mm wider for larger more aggressive footprint, but will not rub suspension components and it is actually 1mm shorter than stock. With this size you would actually be going 59.9mph when your speedo reads 60mph. If you are planning to stay at stock height with the same size rim I would recommend you go with a 205/50R15 strictly for the performance and drivability gain. You would be 9mm taller than stock and 20mm wider. With this size you'd be going 60.9mph when the speedo says 60mph. Just some info for you to consider. I've been looking at the same exact wheels for Auto-X this summer on my Aveo...undecided thus far.
      Thanks for the info
      so basically what you are saying is , it's better to go with the slightly bigger wheel and tire size, as opposed to saving the weight (the 14" ones are only 9lbs each) and giving up the size?

Thanks

Well, lighter rims like the 14's would be nicer, taller rims don't really give you anything other than a nicer look...The reason I suggested the 15" though is because you can get it in a 7" wide. If you're doing Auto-X or something you want that bigger footprint, more tire=improved handling and better drivability. Also with a 14" in a high offset like that you have to worry about brake caliper clearance in the front...which, if it's a problem you would need spacers to fit.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

to add to what wolf said, the larger rim also allows less side wall, less sidewall means less flex in handling.

think of the rim and tread as two parallel lines, the sidewall "flex" with the g forces of the car, making the rim to tread relation change, the more tire sidewall you have the more likely you are to loose the parallel.

you have to compromise though, going with too little sidewall is uncomfortable, and not good unless you have perfect roads (bending rims etc)

this is performance oriented, for fuel efficiency you want the "opposite" meaning less tread to save on drag, but lighter combinations of wheel and tire, for tires of the same diameter in different rim sizes can tend to even out the difference in rim weight, sometimes.

If you are wanting ultra efficient without reliance on the cluster data, swapping a metric 135 on the car would help you. the increase in diameter with less resistance would yield more distance with less work on the engine. but you are sacrificing cluster numbers, handling etc..

Thanks

+1 to what Rabbit said. It all depends on what your driving style is and uses of the car revolve around. I personally love to feel the road and have go-kart handling... so low fast cars with low profile sidewall suites me just fine. Not ideal for winter driving up here, but I got around last year in my slammed Jetta just fine.

Thanks

I see your point, rabbit. I think the Aveo can benefit from a lower profile if it has the suspension to go with it. I would definitely like to improve the suspension on mine, but for the time being it will stay the way it is. So what would be ideal would be a set of wheels that can help me get better mileage, and possibly improve the handling a bit while doing so. I definitely have no need for very low profile tires though, and the roads in Montreal are pretty bad.

So far I am liking my potenza tires. Now it seems the tires are no longer the limiting factor in how much I can turn.. lol. I can turn a lot faster than before without skidding or squealing.

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Most of my friends that are into track racing are getting rid of there 17 or 16 inch wheels. They are all dropping back to 15’s for the better handling and weight, for myself I am running 14’ ASA one piece Racing Wheels. They are supper light and I can throw 205/60R14 on.
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

for true performance /track i would do a 195-205/50r15 if you just have the standard spring drop. this decreases the flex but still has plenty of sidewall for road conditions.it is also a good diameter in relation to stock for +1".

If you want all out performance 17" is too big for our car. They look ok and are runnable though.

A 16 can be done, i ran 16's last year in autocross on my aveo, with a 205/40r16 tire. Thats a little less side wall than optimum for tracking, but they worked well. a 205-215/45r16 would be good with a standard spring drop.

depending on what you are doing to the car, for autocross i would actually do a 13X8-9" wheel (if it will fit over the front brakes?) and then run a 215/50r13 v710.

wheel/tire combos are different for different circumstances.. for regular everyday summer and because i have more drop, i am using a 195/45r15. but i am staggered with my low offset rear wheels,

but i have 2-4 sets of wheels/tires for each of my cars typically.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast