•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabricated a solid torsion/transmission mount

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Fabricated a solid torsion/transmission mount

I did an experiment with my torsion/transmission mount. Made a solid one to see what happens. It uses a poly bushing from energy suspension.
      I just hope it doesn't crack the transmission case from stress.

Had to run a tap through the original holes due to the thickness difference from the stock aluminum and rubber mount.

Mount before poly insert. Its a 1/4 plate and 1-1/4 square tube .125 wall.

Installed. Probably throw some paint at it when I am sure it works Ok. Don't know why it wouldn't but cars are full of surprises.

My goal was to make this mount load bearing to support the weight of the drivetrain from the middle. It looked to me like the aluminum and rubber mount only controls twist.
      Seemed like a better alternative to filling the mount. It started pouring before I could finish so I don't know how well it stiffened things up yet.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The stock plate was thicker than the one you made, that's why you had to tap the mounting holes?

If you could make one that fits without modification, I might be interested on buying it, depending on the $$$.

Matt

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ill be interested to see how this works out.

the holes for the mount arent tapped the whole way? probably just as easy to get a shorter shaft bolt..

where did you get the dom tube and plate cut? i am always looking for sources for materials..

Thanks
      Yes the aluminum mount was thicker by a lot.

I couldn't believe that the holes were not threaded all the way through. They are welded nuts inside of the cradle/frame sheet metal. The bolts only went in about 3-4 turns before I tapped them. I always like OEM bolts compared to the cheap ones at the hardware store so I wanted use them.

All of the metal came from the scrap rack at work. I bored the tube out of a solid 2 inch piece of round stock and the plate I cut in a mill. So no real hookup on DOM unfortunately. That would have been easier.

As far as making them to sell I cant really do that at the moment. I work in a machine shop and work on my own stuff after hours. I feel at this point I would be taking advantage of that if I made stuff to sell. If I ever design something that is in very high demand on this forum I would be willing to talk to the boss about running a high enough quantity to sell them at a good price. He might not care if I did a small production run of my own design on the weekend if I paid for all of the material. Material is pretty expensive so it would have to be a big group by for it to be worth it.

If it ever stops raining I can go drive it and see if its more rigid now.

Thanks
      how about a DanGT86 sticker on the RX car?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Can you post a picture of the original mount as well. It would be nice to see the difference.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Subachad had some good pics here: Aveo Motor Mount Filling Take 2 | Unique Motorsports

Thanks
      OK. Did some driving today with the new mount. The motor does not pitch as much as it used to so it worked. There is a little more gear noise from the transmission now but that is most likely due to the trans being on the way out. I don't think it would be bad if the trans was healthy. I would have to say overall the mount was a success.

Only problem now is I want to redo the engine mounts too. I also had a brainstorm when I was under there about making a chassis stiffening brace that runs from the control arm bolts to my new mount. Kinda like the ultra racing mount but just the front part not the whole thing.

I just love creating extra work for myself!

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Looks good, Hope it continues to work well for you. I may be interested in some more information on all of your mounts when you get them done for my own car in the future.

For the weight wienies out there I gotta ask, Is your mount heavier, lighter, or about the same as the factory?
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      Its hard to tell for sure. I think I want to believe that it is lighter. I can put it on a scale when I take it off to paint it. When I assembled it I bolted the plate to the car and the put the tube through the plate letting it sit as far in as it needed to be. Then I tack welded it on the car. There was about 2 inches sticking through the back of the plate that I am going to cut off so that may help reduce some weight. Holes could also be drilled in the square tube to reduce weight without compromising strength. You can even buy square tube with holes in it in a regular pattern. Similar to the stuff they hold street signs up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast