•  

Thread: Where to mount cd changer on my Aveo5 '08

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Where to mount cd changer on my Aveo5 '08

I am thinking of a 12CD changer to go with my Pioneer AVH-P5900. But, where to install the unit? have you found any good places to mount it?

I'm concerned with putting it under the seat because of dust and vibration.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Where to mount cd changer on my Aveo5 '08

If I can make a suggestion, with the small nature of the car and everything, why not just buy the USB attachment for the head unit? Using that you can probably just get a thumbdrive and hold ALOT more music then the 12 disc cd changer and not have to wory about excess wires or space or vibrations. I have a USB connection in my car which is set up in the glove compartment, and you can't even tell it's there! Just an Idea.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I've been toying around with the idea of a carpc... a via ITX board, or maybe a microATX board... use a cf card for the boot drive, and a cheap 40-80gb fullsize drive for media... display is optional, but maybe a motor retractable touchscreen LCD in dash...

The dc-dc power supplies on the market today are pretty good... and old motherboards and harddrives are cheap and easy to come by...

With this you could even do an obd2 connector and replace your gauge cluster with a small LCD...
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks

whoa, carpc, that sounds extreme. is that really a feasible project? Has anyone done that sort of thing yet?

Hey little monster, that is a great alternative. I will look into the USB kit asap. Thsanks

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Carpc, sounds pretty sweet... and I don't think it would be that hard. My brother had an XBOX connected to the in dash monitor in his truck once. That was pretty rad. With micro atx boards being as small as they are I believe a modified glove box could probably take care of the space. Would definetly suggest a new alternator for that project though... especially if you wanted to add another seperate monitor. With a little hard work I can see this being done. I always wanted to make a carpc that would connect to the car computer and translate the engine codes into readable text/voice... Imagine a program that would literally say, "Your cars oxygen sensor seems to be unoperational" instead of seeing an engine light. Pretty sweet huh.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Don't think the alternator upgrade would be needed. With a single harddrive and a properly selected processor (e.g. not an old prescott p4), the computer itself should use very little power. LCDs also eat next to no power.

A friend of mine ran one (with no display) on his justy's stock alternator for a while with no problems... he now has a complete WRX swap, though

http://mp3car.com
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

As soon as my new stereo comes in, Blaupunkt AM/FM/MP3 (no CD) unit, I am going to test out a pocket drive with it, to see if it will read from a pocket drive (160 gig) like it will with a stick drive.

If it works, I should have an endless supply of music. I already have about 71 Gigs of MP3's (approximately 13,000 songs)
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Thanks

Well, I installed the CD-UB100 USB from Pioneer. . . . . . . . . I LIKE IT!

I got it off Ebay for about $90 and the install would have gone well - if I had only plugged it in correctly! But, that got fixed and I tried it out with great success. I mounted the cable at an angle above the parking brake switch.