•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather causing TPMS problems/

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      Aveo junk blame the congress for passing a law the requires tpms in all vehicles after 2008.. a feature that is sitll crude in design.. All because americans are stupid and lazy and dont check tire pressures. and <blank> number of people died due to under inflated tires... this is not just an aveo problem, my 08 chrysler t&c does this, my audi did this, and a lot of people have this same problem. its is as paul said air pressure changes with temp, as well as moisture in the air,
      I have to agree with petrified.rabbit All because North Americans are stupid and lazy and don’t check tire pressures. This is one of the big reason why firestone tire got killed, and to mean people driving on low tires in SUV's. Your higher taller tires make it more unsafe. If you do not keep an eye on your tires PSI and they drive then like there cars, that are lower to the ground. The cars do not corner as bad as a truck or SUV does the car is a little more forgiving.

But you can buy tire gauge any where all most really good one's or cheap one's And if you use them even the cheap one will tell you better then the tpms will.

I glad I do not have them in they are about 20 years from being ready for use by lazy People for the mean time it's a good money maker for dealer, Tire company, tire shops, service shops People.
      Good luck the next best thing is the open up the area where the gauge is put black elec.tape over the area close it up then you do not have to see the low temp only if you’re is not in your Speedo info area, if it is too bad for you your stuck with it.

Last edited by Pontiac1976; 12-05-2010 at 03:39 PM.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Point taken, but still losing more than 5 lbs of air in a few hours?
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      consistently losing 5 lbs in a few hours sounds more like a leak.. nail, bad stem, bent lip on the rim.. something of that nature.

if you lost 5 lbs of pressure in a 30 degree temperature drop, that is the weather.

are you using a gauge to fill it? same one every time?

Thanks

Is that after driving and then sitting? Because I drag race I know that tire will go up between 3 - 8 PSI after a run I do not burn my tire just dry hop. Now the cold will not let then go up as much but it depends on how you drive the roads, what PSI is in the tires. How they sit in the sun & what side is in the sun. How long they sit in the shade. The best way is to take you tire PSI at morning after you know there all set to the same PSI mark it down, before you go on your norm drive after you get there take PSI again mark it down after work take it again then 10 minutes after again mark it down. Do this the next day take note that the weather is close to the same. To try seeing what is for the norm for your tires, now keep in mind hard braking or harder then take off will make the temp change a little. After you get a base range PSI if they go down a lot more norm, then your tire need to be inspected or your valve, rim. But you have to know that these three things are good! Before you can get the Base line for the PSI of what you tire lose to cold and heat up and cool down. So the best time is in the morning and 15 min after cool down for taking tire PSI then it should be close to what it will be in cold temps. Once you know what the temp range is heat up and cool down you can set your PSI try to sit it in the closes range for the tire to get best traction. All so you will know if it is lower than the norm at cold temps ( as get colder it may make the tire lower ) Oh do not forget front can take a little bit more sometime because car is heavier in front then the rear and rotate tires at proper time to get longer tire life. In summer you may need to let out a little bit out but only in the cooler times. If you let or put air in the tire on a hot tire or cold tire if you take the PSI at a different time at the end of the day or the next you take your PSI may read lower cold after the last time you let air out. So you have to take into account how much your tire drops in PSI after the day or the run after the cool down of normal day. Or the heat up after a normal drive so you know how much it will drop back to when it cool.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Thanks
      Been a couple days since I refilled it, I'm beginning to think the guy at wal-mart was a dumbass and only filled them to 26 or 27 psi, just enough to not set off the tpms.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      Been a couple days since I refilled it, I'm beginning to think the guy at wal-mart was a dumbass and only filled them to 26 or 27 psi, just enough to not set off the tpms.
      That an anther possibly that might be.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it is important to see what your gauge reads when the light is off, to check the accuracy.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      accuracy of the gauge i mean, not the light.

Thanks
      I bought a middle of the line gauge and trust it pretty well. The only complaint I have is that I have to make sure I get it straight onto the valve stem or it will read low. Just means paying attention when I check my tires. N e way, I'm at a week now and it got up to 40 today, then went back down. No tpms light, We have blizzard weather coming so I will probably get out and freeze checking them sometime this weekend. Then in the spring I'm going to pull the tire off that rim and see if I can straighten it out so that it won't lose air as easily, or just have the tires bead sealed every time. (not to worried about the rims, when I have the money for some 16" rims, the stock wheels will get winter tires.

Talk about re-programming the tpms, I am going to look into putting sensors into my aftermarket rims. That will be a re-learn twice a year. I need to check proper inflation on the 16's first to make sure it's worth the extra expense first. I can live without the tpms, But I like having the extra warning there.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      im not sure how the relearn works on the aveo. but if its just a recognition sequence you might only need the relearn once per set.. depending on how many slots the tpms has for storage. (i would hope that gm puts more than 4 knowing a lot of people have a winter set of wheels, but they do stupid things like naming cars after hedgehogs.) But that is a best case scenario.

i didnt run tpms in my summer wheels because i couldn't find a dealer who was cheap to install/transfer them. And knew how to reprogram the system. It was around $100 per sensor for the dealership, then added $25 per tire for mounting and balancing, Then added cost of reprogramming... since the sensors were new. The regualr price they charge for mounting and balancing was $125. So i had already spent $400 on rims, and $300 on tires.. which means my wheels would have more than doubled in price for a light on the dash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast