•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Pedal Question

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Brake Pedal Question

This week I replaced both front brake calipers, pads, and rotors on my girlfriend's 05 Aveo. Her right side caliper had seized slider pins so only one pad was being used. Her left side had a seized caliper so it wasn't engaging at all. I bled the brake system as well.

Rear shoes, rotors, and wheel cylinders are going to be done in a few weeks. So basically besides the lines and the master cylinder she will have all new brake components. She does not have ABS.

The Aveo has always seemed to have a low brake pedal. It doesn't go all the way to the floor, but damn near it. If I put some force to it once it stops in it's travel, I can get it to bottom out. However, her braking doesn't seem to be compromised. (Well now that I have rebuilt the front brake system. Before it was definitely shady.) If I slam on the brakes it seems to apply brakes fully and stop quickly.

I am comparing to my Grand Prix, where it's pedal does not go its full travel length and I really, really have to push it to get it to bottom out.

However, as luck may have it, a buddy of mine happens to date a woman who has an 09 Chevy Aveo. I asked her if I could take her car for a spin and low and behold her brakes felt the same way. I asked her if she noticed anything about her brakes and she said "Yeah the brakes in that have always felt that way." Which ironically is the same exact thing my girlfriend said as well.

So my question to you all is, does your brake pedal travel most of it's length or does it stop a decent distance from the floor? In other words... does it need a new master cylinder? I am waiting to get the new rear components in place, just in case the rears just aren't adjusted well before I condemn the MC. Any thoughts?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The pedal travels quite a ways on both of my Aveos, so what you're seeing is probably 'normal'. That said, if the shoes have never been replaced, then (depending on mileage) they're likely to be completely gone, leaving the front to do all of the work. And just a heads-up that removing the drums can be a nightmare. If this goes really bad for you and you're stuck, I can post a different type of method for freeing up the drum.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Alright, good. I've already pulled both drums off to inspect the rear shoes. They actually came off pretty easily besides working those two screws out. The 05 doesn't require one to pull the entire hub, just the drum slides off. The shoes themselves have a decent amount of life on them. The only reason I am replacing them is because I have heard that the factory shoes tend to shear off and lock up the wheel.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have a 2005 Aveo LS Hatchback without ABS and my pedal doesn't hit the floor. This passed April I replaced front rotors along with brake pads, new master cylinder (new, not reman) and brake booster and hose / check valve. I also did brake flush. When you hit the brakes the car will stop on a dime! Even after all of that the pedal does not touch the floor. The brake booster itself has an adjustment that you can adjust the travel of the brake pedal. If you change anything there just keep in mind of the brake light switch or your taillights will stay even when you let go of the brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by jamesd; 12-04-2016 at 11:18 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed?

By the way, when you removed the rear drum, it just popped off? No need to remove the hub nut?
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed?

By the way, when you removed the rear drum, it just popped off? No need to remove the hub nut?
      You don't need to take off the hub nut to remove the brake drum. You do need to remove the center metal cap. It should come right off. If for some reason the drum is really stuck and you have no other removal tool then you could remove the nut to take the drum off with hub.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The last time the fluid was changed was two days ago, but before that I had changed it back in June. I just changed it out again because I was already bleeding the system anyways. Before that? I doubt it had ever been done to be honest...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gingerdyde View Post
      The last time the fluid was changed was two days ago, but before that I had changed it back in June. I just changed it out again because I was already bleeding the system anyways. Before that? I doubt it had ever been done to be honest...
      What did you use to bleed the brakes? Two man job or hand pump? Ive been thinking of buying a pressurized bleeder system.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Two man manual bleeding.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
      What did you use to bleed the brakes? Two man job or hand pump? Ive been thinking of buying a pressurized bleeder system.

This should answer your question regarding the one person job.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/u...-review-16303/

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast