•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air ride????????

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Air ride????????

Any one do air ride on there Aveo? any how to's or good web site to buy and some detailed photo's? Just been thinking about doing air ride on mine and wanted to hear about the pro's and cons.

You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Air ride????????

I know Project Car had a step by step on putting an air ride on an infiniti a few months back

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

i remember a long, long time ago that there was an aveo done up with airbags...it was dark blue and had space for minibikes in the back, but it was the first done up aveo I had ever seen. it might have a cardomain

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

if it was a blue hatch then you are correct it did have bags.
      a company that manafactured air suspension products bought a aveo hatch, shaved the door handles, installed the razzi kit, through 18"s on it if i remember correctley. and then they installed there aveo air bag kit, the kit sold for about 2 grand and was almost a bolt in item. since then the car was sold on ebay, and then the company discontinued the aveo kit because no one was buying it. i tryed contacting the company and they gave me no answer other then sorry. but if people are interested in baggin there aveos it can be done, you would need to fab up some cups/brackets for the rear, and then buy some universal strut bags for the front, then those would have to be modifed. having a bagged vehicle is awsome but as a daily sometimes irritaiting .

Thanks

Yup. If a line snaps or a bag wears a hole through it? It sucks being stuck.

And yes, fun to have. Makes teh sucky parts worth while.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shapinoweno
      if it was a blue hatch then you are correct it did have bags.
      a company that manafactured air suspension products bought a aveo hatch, shaved the door handles, installed the razzi kit, through 18"s on it if i remember correctley. and then they installed there aveo air bag kit, the kit sold for about 2 grand and was almost a bolt in item. since then the car was sold on ebay, and then the company discontinued the aveo kit because no one was buying it. i tryed contacting the company and they gave me no answer other then sorry. but if people are interested in baggin there aveos it can be done, you would need to fab up some cups/brackets for the rear, and then buy some universal strut bags for the front, then those would have to be modifed. having a bagged vehicle is awsome but as a daily sometimes irritaiting .
      Air lift Company had that bagged Aveo. I am actually friends with one of the guys there that built it.
      There are air ride systems out there that would work for our cars, they would just take some fabrication to get them goin.
      I know a cavalier or neon kit could be adapted without major fab in the front, and the back could be accomplished with most of the factory suspension since these cars are basically already 2-linked(not really but kinda).

I have built a few custom suspensions myself and have been toying around with bagging my Aveo, my biggest issue would be the placement of the air tanks, valves, and compressors. I use alot of the available cargo room this car has quite regularly and don't wanna lose it.

As for the reliability of an air ride system...I have a 94 Cutlass Convertible that has had a 1 off custom air ride system on it for almost 5 years. I have driven it on several long trips and had zero problems with it after 10,000 miles.

If built right they can be just as reliable as any stock suspension, just know what you are doing before you attempt it.
      I can't count how many hack job air ride installs I have seen in cars that I wouldn't drive in a parking lot, let alone at 70mph on the freeway.

-Sean
      2008 Aveo5- Crushed, debadged, tinted, more on the way

1994 Cutlass convertible- Bagged on 18's

Thanks

post pics of your ride
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Thanks

Which one? The Aveo or Cutlass??

Aveo...these aren't current, the springs have settle ALOT more and the side emblems are off.....

..and here is the Cutlass

-Sean

Thanks

very nice, what else is done to the cutlass
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deniswhite1
      very nice, what else is done to the cutlass
      Thanx....lets see here, what is done? Well, the obvious, chrome 18's and the air. Custom paint, tail lights are shaved out of it and relocated in the reverse light bar. I have black interior instead of the white now with all 4 bucket seats. The "olds" logo is shaved out of the front bumper and smoothed, it has an in dash tv in it, and probably some other stuff that I am forgetting.

I plan on someday giving this car to my son. He is only 14months right now but I never intend on getting rid of it. I have cruised it for a couple years now the way it sits and this summer was the last time it will see daylight for awhile. I have it in storage and probably won't touch it for the next several years.
      I have another cutlass droptop (actually it's the wife's) that will either get air ride on it or just slammed on some 20's. It will be out in the spring with some paint and interior stuff.
      My main project right now is my 56 Bel air sedan. I am hoping like hell to have it streetable by summer. It too will be on full air ride and I plan on dragging the piss outta it.
      If you can't tell by now, I am hooked on customizing vehicles. I don't own anything stock right now. My wife thankfully loves cars as well so she doesn't mind that I have 8 cars.
      I don't wanna come off as some big-headed car builder though, I am just a county guy who has a shop out back and several buddies who like to work on cars. It's a fun hobby, there is always one of us doin something to one of our rides.
      My motto is "stock sux, cut it up!"

-Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast