•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16's or 17's

16's or 17's

hey all i know that this board alot of u have 16 in wheels and alot of u have 17 in wheels...but is there really much of a difference other then u get a little more tire on the 16's?? the only reason im asking is because i found a sweet set of wheels for my aveo ( not sure if im even gonna get them yet ) but according to discount tire they r only available in 16's, and wont order them in 17's for my car as they say they wont fit. any suggestions??

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      dont make the same mistake i did, go for the 16's...the 17's look nice but are generally heavier and more sluggish and raise the height of the car...now with 16's you get more cushion in the tire so the ride will be better and wont raise the stock height plus they will weigh less and cost less. 16's look just as sweet IMO

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      To be honest Aveosam I don't really think that's correct.

17" wheels have the same circumfrence and diameter of 14" wheels so technically there shouldn't be any rise in your car. 17" wheels gain just as much metal in the wheel as 14"s lose in rubber.

The problem I found with 16"s is that tires in that size are (relatively) hard to find compared to 17"s, with 17"s you get many many more tire and wheel choices.

Also there is virtually no difference in ride quality between 16" tires and 17" tires, 1" will give you barely any feel difference, usually only 2" or more will allow you to feel a difference.

Also, weight and cost has no part in wheel size, it's about what you buy and where you buy it. The weight doesn't matter either because unless you get some really fancy DUBs or something they won't weigh much different. My 17"s weigh only 2 more pounds than the stock 14"s do.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      My 17"s weigh only 2 more pounds than the stock 14"s do.
      You might think 2 pounds isn't a lot of weight....But when you have to spin it at speeds of 60mph+...2 pounds seems like 2 tons (not literally).
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      To be honest Aveosam I don't really think that's correct.

17" wheels have the same circumfrence and diameter of 14" wheels so technically there shouldn't be any rise in your car. 17" wheels gain just as much metal in the wheel as 14"s lose in rubber.

The problem I found with 16"s is that tires in that size are (relatively) hard to find compared to 17"s, with 17"s you get many many more tire and wheel choices.

Also there is virtually no difference in ride quality between 16" tires and 17" tires, 1" will give you barely any feel difference, usually only 2" or more will allow you to feel a difference.

Also, weight and cost has no part in wheel size, it's about what you buy and where you buy it. The weight doesn't matter either because unless you get some really fancy DUBs or something they won't weigh much different. My 17"s weigh only 2 more pounds than the stock 14"s do.
      blah im so tired about arguing about this crap...have you gone out there and measured? no didnt think so ... with the smallest decent tire size like 40, the diameter is larger by 3/4 of an inch. you could do 35 and be about the same but with how harsh that ride is going to be you mind as well just drive on the rims....one inch will give you plenty room to feel a diffence in tires...with 16's you can get 205/45/16 tire which will yield better performance and comfort.....now before anyone else questions me with their theory, how about you go out and do some measuring or using some type of online calculator...yea its two pounds per each wheel plus the weight is spread out further and your tryin to spin it

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html this is a good calculator

ok i decided to go back to discount and get the hot wheels redline wheels with the gloss black, machined lip finish, with kumho 195/50/16 tires....then ill just get the lowering springs and im all set....thanx all for the info.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      17's this car is basically show, itll never be fast.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by o4aveohb
      17's this car is basically show, itll never be fast.
      http://www.westerndriver.com/default.aspx?ID=143 <--- third OVERALL... vs modified 4wd STIs, evolutions, etc... in a STOCK aveo.

Now tell me the car isn't fast.

Team suzuki/the sprongl brothers also finished first in class (P2) with the swift+ in the 2005 canadian rally series.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      they no longer carry Kumho 195/50R-16. i know because i wanted the same ones and they dont carry them online anymore. You either have to go with 205/50R-16 or find some where else to buy them. My advice is check out tirerack.com

Chad Turnbow - 2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2421514

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast