•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '04 Aveo rear shocks

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I just did both rear shocks with kits on my 2008 aveo5. I am getting the banging, and a tinging noise from the rear? is it possible to over tighten the threads at the top of the schock?

I am using all KYB parts with the exception of the mounting plate that was not provided with the hit (reused factory mounting bolts because they looked better than KYB's.

Part numbers are
      SHOCKS: 343423
      Boots: SB107
      and mounts: SM5452

The only things I can thing of is that maybe I got the top bolt to tight? (is that possible) Or that the KYB strut mount kit is too soft, allowing too much travel.

I won't be able to tear into the car much more tonight as I no longer have access to jack stands.

I had an experienced friend help me with everything, so I know the right procedures were followed, the devil seems to be in the details?

EDIT!!!

I went ahead and loosened the top of the shocks. FOUND THE PROBLEM. The rubber cushion under the bolt plate pushed down onto the shock shaft itself. Allowing the top of the shock to hit the fender well, and letting the seating plate rattle like a bell.

I am going to find a couple washers to slide under the bottom rubber tomorrow to keep it in place.

Last edited by daug1502; 05-09-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: answered my own question
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      yeah, that will do it.. did you use new mounts? or just the rubber inserts? did you put them in correctly, (top on top bottom on bottom, not inverted?)

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I got everything back together yesterday. It looks good and rides better.

Rabbit, yes on all counts, we used the old shocks as a guide (I lied about reusing mounting plate on yhe rears. The fronts were not provided) thanks for your input though.

The only problem I had was the bottom rubber boot was sliding over the main shock shaft causing it to hit the top of the shock tower. The ringing was the top plate not having pressure against it.

The washers I used were grade 8, I don’t know yhe size of the top of my head, but the fit easily without being to loose.

I was too burnt out to snap pictures, but will gladly answer any questions about the process (it's very simple, and does not appear to have changed my alignment. Getting that done during the week to be sure.

Thanks goes out to this entire forum for the help in researching the parts to order.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      thats KYB's part number for GR2 rear shocks.

the first i think is monroe shocks part number.

there is a possibility that the monroe had a longer threaded top for a more universal design. but the tapping is from the tip of the shock hitting the inner wheel house/1/4 panel..
      HI Guy. Since you seem to be a very good mech. I might as well ask you this...how hard is it to replace the rear shocks on my o6 hatchback?? I mean do i need any 'special tools' to compress the springs or to remove something that I dont know about. I am assuming that shocks are a fairly simple do it yourself job, i know i couldn't do the struts, that involves doing a realignment and all that,but isnt replacing shocks just taking off the old shock, and slipping in the new ones, tighten everything back up and its done??? OR is something complicated involved? I called my local parts store and all of them tell me my shocks are only like $ 31-35 a piece. But "Foolbula" in this thread says his shocks were like $64 EACH. Is that because he went to a shop, like i always do, but if i can do this on my own, i need to save the cash! If I can do it myself,how long a job can it be for a 'novice'? I was quoted just over $200 to replace them at a local good mech. shop. Is that fair or a rip off? Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its 3 bolts per side to take the shock out. and then you switch over the top mount. NOT hard at all.

you might need to compress, lift the axle, or something to align the bolts for reinstall, and if you let the suspension drop too far, the spring may come out. (not likely with em height springs). But this is an easy job.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      hmmmm compress the springs by lifting the axle? guess its $200 out the door Tanks guy. sounds like a 2 man job and one needs to have a lift of floor jack to lift...and that man ain't me bummer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12