•  

Thread: upgraded my rear shocks!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

upgraded my rear shocks!

so i have been looking for shocks for a while, i am kind of low, so i tore into my suspension and saw i was riding on the bump stops. What i needed was a shorter rear shock. Well i found them and installed rear shocks from a fox body mustang which wasn't too bad, needed a spacer set for the bottom as the aveo shock has a wider bushing than the mustang and you have to use the nuts on top from the shock, i also added a washer on the bottom since the stock shock has its own dust cover, but if you find an "open" shock you could reuse the dust boot and cup from the aveo and not use it, and not need the extra washer. they are about 4" shorter extended and 2ish " shorter compressed than the oem aveo shocks, but with my ride height it works great! i only test fitted the stock shocks out of a car, but i am ordering either bilstein sports or adjustable something..

i haven't driven it around a lot yet, but so far the rear end is much more predictable (than being on bump stops) and it holds the corners tighter. i will let everyone know tomorrow night when i get it out on the highway. but so far it has been what i needed. it may not work unless you are dropped pretty good though.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: upgraded my rear shocks!

how about some pics man? i would love to upgrade my shocks, they are way overdue

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i will do pictures when they are not standard mustang shocks.. (when i get my upgrades)

because honestly, black shock to black shock you can't tell the difference.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

that's nice work id love a harder rear shock oh and has anyone tried to find or found some front struts?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i am on the search, so far the closest i have found is a saturn astra, but they have limited market options too.. and i haven't gotten to bolt them into the car yet..

i am thinking of modifying the aveo struts. if i can cut the tops off. and pull out the piston etc. thread the end with a pipe thread and put a bilstein insert into it from either a honda or a vw i think it would work good.

for my personal attempt i will also be looking for a shorter insert, and lowering the spring perch to allow the car to be lower while having more suspension movement tolerance.. as opposed to being on the bottom of the oem strut.