•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to War! With Car Toys

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Going to War! With Car Toys

Friday, I finally go to get my new stereo installed. I went to Car Toys, a popular chain, at least up here in WA.
      I ordered a new Clarion head unit, and the PAC Audio SWI JACK steering wheel interface.

They gave the word "no problem, you will need a dash kit, wiring harness, the SWI, and we will have it all installed in an hour or so."

The tech couldn't get a kit for the sedan without special ordering it, but for the temporary, set it up with an Avalance kit until the proper dash kit came in. No problem!

An hour later, the tech comes back out, saying "I can't get the SWI to work with your car." And I am sitting here thinking, "Well ****! The only reason I wanted to upgrade was because I could keep my steering wheel controls!" But hey, what ever, I can always get them re-installed later if needed, I will roll with it, it cut about $120 off my overall install. No big deal.

They bring the car around, new head unit installed. Groovy, rocks out, sounds good.

OOPS, I forgot to tell them to go ahead and re-line in my tube via RCA and remote, so I can get it off my rear speaker. No worries, easy job, I will do that at the house.

So, I get the RCA lines (fosgate) with a remote lead to line in my sub. Take my dash apart, pull out the radio and HOLY ****! The assholes cut the original harness and direct wired the new stereo.
      I look at the receipt and it shows a harness under parts. $17.99 taken from stock. But in the dash, no harness. Worse off, they cut one harness completely off, and the other with the remote leads for the steering wheel controls, they cut the leads off it so short that there is no way it can be re-connected. At this point my blood is boiling, face is red, I am ready to throw something.

I go back to car toys only to see some little snot nosed kid, I explain the problem calmly, and he replies "Well, they couldn't find the correct harness, so they just wired it in direct, it is no big deal." To which I heatedly explained to him, "If I wanted a chop job, I would have taken it to the 16 year old kid next door. Hell, I could have done it properly by ordering everything from Crutchfield and doing it myself. I brought it here because I didn't want to do it, and I wanted it done right. If you didn't have the harness, you should have told me that you didn't, I would have had you special order it like you are doing the dash kit, or gone to a shop that did have the correct harness! Moreover, it looks so sloppy that tomorrow, I am going to have to take the car to the dealership to see if the technicians crappy work voided my warranty!"
      So, tomorrow, it is to the dealership, then possibly the lawyers, then back to Car Toys to see what they are going to do to fix their screw up.

It's on! Time to go to war!

4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Going to War! With Car Toys

I would be suing that place man. Cutting the factory harness!? Are these people nuts! Also, just wondering... I'm not an expert with alot of this stuff, but do you think the reason they couldn't connect the SWI is because the lead may have been cut... just for fuel for the legal fire if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Three words.

Better Business Bureau.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Gene,

I know this is no help, but car toys did the same freaking thing to me. I even tipped the installer 20 bucks BEFORE he did the install and told him to treat it like it was his truck (this was my tundra). Well everything seemed OK until I went to add sirius. they wanted like 300 bucks, and i got the parts for like 100 and when I took the dash apart, I found that they cut the freakin harness, then used butt connectors!!!! I too am capable of doing the job, but didn't have time and wanted it done right. they charged me too for a harness, and the labor was NOT cheap. I always do my own now, as I trust NOBODY.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

wow, that really sucks!! sue the crap out of them! sorry you have to go thru this!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

So I got it to the Chevy Dealership, and just as suspected. Anything that is remotely connected to that harness is no longer covered under warranty.

Back to Car Toys I go. Talk to the assistant manager, and he has the same attitude as the kid had yesterday. "No big deal."

I explained to him what the dealership said, and he replied that they can't void the warranty because of an aftermarket installation. To which I replied in my best legal tone, "Only if it is installed properly IE correct harness. He was kind of speechless for a moment and then replied, "We can refund the cost of the harness."

:::this is your captain speaking, prepare for turbulence:::

I hit the ceiling, went into a rage and then said "My lawyer will be in touch with your manager, and I will be in touch with corporate offices!"
      The kid tried to stop me from leaving, offering a refund, and then offered me extra gear, then asked what he could do to fix the problem. I said "fix the harness, put my original radio back in!"

They can't, because the harness is gone.

Looks like I am going to court. And I am expecting more than just a fix, I am requesting another Aveo LT premium.
      [attachment=0:th1wck6n]SDC10015.JPG[/attachment:th1wck6n]

Isn't that sexy?

War has been declared!

By the way, if you are in the Seattle area, check the Sunday Seattle Times / Post Intelligencer. You may find a pretty full page ad coing out in the next few weeks titled "Quality work at your local Car-Toys" As soon as I find out from my lawyer if it would be okay...
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!

Thanks

holy crap that sucks man, makes me want to go see if they did that to mine. good luck with this in court.

Thanks

Better take a look. After seeing this, i have heard of several reports of people having the same problem with Car-Toys

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

damn damn damn. get in writing from your dealership that your warranty is void. also, i dunno if your gonna get a new car but you are def. due some compensation. also whoever mentioned the BBB is a good idea too. as for the ad you want to write, keep it professional. and dont personally slander the people who work there, or that may bite you in the ass. a letter to the corporate office should also be made along with a few fone calls.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Yeah, I would definetly do everything to get these freaks in trouble. Going to court might get YOU money back but calling the BBB will help keep other people out of similar issues. This is pathetic! Make sure, like what was said before, you get as much stuff in paperwork as far as from the dealership and I would also see if maybe you can go to another car audio shop and get them to write up a report on how car audio is SUPPOSED to be installed so that the judge/jury have hard evidence on what really happened here (some people might not know the difference between a harness and hardwiring I.E. Car toys). Go all the way man and the best of luck to you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast