•  

Thread: Getting a new system in my car

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Getting a new system in my car

Well, it's not exactly new. It's the stereo that my dad has in his Camaro. He ordered a new stereo for the Camaro (and ordered the same one for his '07 Grand Prix), and is giving me the one in the Camaro now for the Aveo. This stereo has just about everything. GPS nav, back up camera support, HD radio stations, and bluetooth. And he also ordered a new back up camera for the Camaro, and will be giving me the one that is on the Camaro now. I gave up on trying to figure out how to keep Onstar, and will cancel that after the Aveo is all set up. I never used it that much in the first place. My dad's order will be here next week, and it'll just be figuring out WHEN to install all these stereos.

Name:  2011 Camaro Aftermarket JVC GPS System 02.JPG
Views: 937
Size:  193.7 KB

Thanks
      Sounds nice. Keep us updated on the progress.

Thanks
      My dad got his stereos and back up cameras the other day. He's detailing the Camaro now, so it'll be a few days before he gets started on his 2 cars. Besides, the cameras he ordered are very similar to the camera he already has on the Camaro (really the same thing, but just different versions, one has a power block or something while the other 2 don't). He's not sure if he'll bother removing the camera in the Camaro. And we're figuring out what we'll need for installing the JVC stereo in the Aveo, if anything. I already know that no matter which camera we put in the Aveo, it's most likely not going to be fun fishing the wiring through the hatch. Although, not as hellish as even beginning to work on the Camaro (got to take off all the center console trim and remove the shifter just to get access to the stereo, not sure if he'll need to remove the dash kit that's already there as well, the instructions provided by Crutchfield assume it's the factory stereo).

I think in the spring, I want to get new speakers. And maybe down the road from there, a subwoofer and an amp. I saw these cool enclosed subs that are vehicle specific (made to fit in the side of the trunk, obviously and sadly, none for the Aveo).

Thanks
      Well, we finally started putting the JVC stereo in the Aveo today. It's not exactly done, but we got it to the point it'll turn on and can be used with my iPod. The nav works real good too. I could've had AM/FM working, but my dad was wrong about the new antenna adapter meant for either the Camaro or Pontiac working with the Aveo, so that's another thing to order and wait on. After dinner tonight, I think we're going to get the rear view camera up and running. We put the nav antenna right above the AC ducts, and made sure that the trim could go back in, and it works fine there, just need some double sided tape and it should be good.

Name:  38 Aveo JVC GPS Stereo Antenna.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  6.1 KBName:  39 Aveo JVC GPS Stereo Screen 01.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  7.6 KBName:  39 Aveo JVC GPS Stereo Screen 02.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  8.0 KB

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      For some reason the aveo uses a chrysler antenna adapter. I thought that was very strange

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      For some reason the aveo uses a chrysler antenna adapter. I thought that was very strange
      Yeah, my dad looked up Crutchfield, and they have 2 different antenna adapters for the '09 Aveo. That one for select '02 and up Chryslers and a general one for select '02 and up vehicles. My dad ordered the general one just to be safe. I've seen that Chrysler one on the Aveo list a few times before, and that has always shocked me. That should be here next week.

We did start getting the rear view camera going. We removed the lift gate handle trim to drill the hole for the wire, and I'm hoping that we won't need to cut a notch in the lift gate handle trim. Anyways, we got the wire to that rubber hose, and just need to figure out how to get the wire through the hose. After that, it's just feeding the wire through the rest of the car. Most of the interior trim on the driver side is all removed, so there's not too much work left.

Thanks
      The antenna adapter got here yesterday, and radio works. Even though my dad ordered the "general" adapter, the packaging still said "Chrysler" on it. Not that I really care, since everything works, just something I noticed.

We're still working on the rear view camera. We did get it through the rubber hose. Although, when we finally got it through, a yellow wire on that camera's wire harness came off. But, my dad looked at the other wire harness that the camera harness plugs into, and there are 2 yellow wires, connected together. So, he thinks that we can splice the yellow wire that came off to the other yellow wire on the camera's harness. And then it'll just be connecting the harnesses, grounding the camera and connecting it to power.

Thanks
      For the most part, it's finished. There was a problem with the rear view camera, but I'm sure we can get it sorted out. My dad had forgot about a wire on the rear view camera that he installed on his Grand Prix, and I'm hoping that is what we have here. Other than that, it's just getting the camera fixed in place and putting the rest of the interior back together.

My dad wanted to do some work on his Camaro in the garage, which meant the Aveo getting kicked out. I didn't care about the rest of the trim, as we still are working on the camera (good luck getting the camera wire out from the hatch), but I didn't want someone to see the stereo not even screwed in place, let alone the trim not being on it. So, I got the AC vent and U trim pieces back on. I really like the look of the new dash kit with the rest of the interior.

Name:  IMG_0040.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  247.7 KBName:  IMG_0042.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  231.9 KBName:  IMG_0041.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  273.8 KB