•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In dash DVD player installed

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      but most of those scans can be found with an autozone scanner you can use for free

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
      but most of those scans can be found with an autozone scanner you can use for free
      Agreed, but all you have is a raw code, not a diagnosis. Autozone and other parts stores use "free" scans as a sales tool. Let's say that you have an ABS code. The "free" scan tells you that the right front wheel speed sensor is "open". The wheel speed sensor is integral with the wheel bearing. Based on the "free" scan and the code it provides you buy a new wheel bearing for $400 (approximate price for sake of argument) and spend and hour and a half installing it. You return to Autozone to clear the code and as you drive away the ABS light blinks back on. You are out an hour and a half of your life(that you will never get back) and $400(for a non returnable part - it is now used) and you still have the same condition you started with. If you came to the shop, I would charge you .6 of an hour ($59.40) and the tech would check all the wiring to the wheel speed sensor for power, ground, continuity and resistance. Chances are good the harness to the bearing would be damaged. At this point, I would give you an estimate and offer to repair your harness ($20.00 for a pigtail and .3 of an hour or $29.70 for labour). At this point you can choose to do it yourself or authorize me to have one of my professionals to do it. Total cost for me to do it right is $109.10 and I will give you a 1 year parts and labour warranty. My point is there is value in paying a competent shop to do your scans. Most guys on this forum are sharp enough to understand the systems they are scanning, but even they don't have access to all the information a professional shop has to aid in diagnosis. I just don't want everybody to dismiss a professional scan as a "three second plug in", because it is much more.
      Last edited by thankful_ragamuffin; 05-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Let's keep this thread about the DVD player and other audio things. There is a thread about my airbag issue too. Anyone else have an in dash dvd player?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12