•  

Thread: clunking

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

clunking

hi I have a 2007 aveo it has a clunking noise by the passenger side dash panel when I go over bumps in the road how do I get the dash off on that side I reached up inside and cannot feel anything loose going in the glove box opening

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      this is most likely the sway bar bushing on the other side of the firewall. Unless it actually sounds like something in the dash.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
      hi I have a 2007 aveo it has a clunking noise by the passenger side dash panel when I go over bumps in the road how do I get the dash off on that side I reached up inside and cannot feel anything loose going in the glove box opening
      It might also be due to the infamous "floating suspension". I suggest that you read this post.

Mine only has 20K miles on it. If I go over bumps, it clunks. This is a very cheaply designed car with the equivalent of a 'rubber band' suspension. As noted in the post, mine actually failed a state inspection despite low mileage and nothing being worn, due to the clunking that occurs when riding over a bump. The suspension of an Aveo is the cheapest, most rudimentary design imaginable.

Ka-klunk, ka-klunk, ka-klunk. I don't care whether it rides like a go-kart or a soap box derby car that has no suspension, as long as it passes a state inspection - that's all I care about.
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 07-19-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
      that could be it but still how do you remove the dash panel on the right side I just drove the car and it sounds like a ball is under the dash somewhere even hiting the smallest bumps its very annoying and it sounds like its just under the dash panel on the passenger side my girlfriend was putting her hand on the dash trying to feel where the sound is coming I removed the glove box but I cant see anything that is loose I am thinking if I could remove the dash panel it would clear it up for me although that may not be the easyist thing to do as I don't see any screws to take it apart I am assuming they are under a panel somewhere can anyone help me

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
      that could be it but still how do you remove the dash panel on the right side I just drove the car and it sounds like a ball is under the dash somewhere even hiting the smallest bumps its very annoying and it sounds like its just under the dash panel on the passenger side my girlfriend was putting her hand on the dash trying to feel where the sound is coming I removed the glove box but I cant see anything that is loose I am thinking if I could remove the dash panel it would clear it up for me although that may not be the easyist thing to do as I don't see any screws to take it apart I am assuming they are under a panel somewhere can anyone help me
      If you are certain that the noise is coming from the interior you would need to first find a bump (such as a parking lot speed bump) to drive it over. Have someone drive the car over the bump repeatedly while you look in the areas of the glove box and the area under the dash with a flashlight.

I doubt that it is an interior noise, but anything is possible.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      If you are certain that the noise is coming from the interior you would need to first find a bump (such as a parking lot speed bump) to drive it over. Have someone drive the car over the bump repeatedly while you look in the areas of the glove box and the area under the dash with a flashlight.

I doubt that it is an interior noise, but anything is possible.
      I want to know how to remove the dash panels on the right side and it is coming from the interior

Thanks
      ok I removed the glove box and looked around I saw that the heater motor was accessable so I removed the motor and in doing so whirlybirds from the maple trees fell out and I picked up the motor and shook it to find end play on the bearing and behold my rattling noise I removed the hose that is attached and looked inside at the motor shaft and saw a lot of debris I turned the motor and poured the debris out a lot of small wood sticks and melted plastic pieces and pieces of leaves where I live and park the car there is a lot of maple trees it appears that this somehow got drawn into the bearing compartment of the motor and got it hot then melted the plastic that is the housing and allowed the bearing to drop a little then it cooled in this position hence the end play then even with the motor running when I would drive over bumps the motor shaft would bounce up and down and because it was in the duct system it echoed and sounded like it was in the upper part of the dash if you pull the motor you will see there is a cavity that goes straight up to the windshield to the intake that's where the fresh air comes in and also where my whirlybird seeds got drawn in well case closed for this issue to the parts store for a new motor p.s. I did not remove any dash panels thank god that did not look to be an easy task

Thanks
      Hooray!!! Glad you found and solved the problem!

After you get it fixed, try fabricating some form of screening to attach at the windshield intake to prevent tree trash from being sucked into the vent system again.

Hey, the Aveo is a cheaply designed car. I still own an '88 Chevy and I had to do this sort of screening 20 years ago to prevent the same thing from happening. On Chevy's some things never change...