•  

Thread: Tinting ?'s

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Tinting ?'s

i had my aveo tinted professionally, but i'm going to try to tint another car and i was wondering 2 things. is the tint application spray just soapy water and can you use a hair dryer as a heat gun.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Tinting ?'s

Tinting is an art. It is not as simple as it seems. There are tutorials on youtube and stuff if you want to try.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

heat guns can be 600-1200 degrees, how hot does your hair dryer get?

and better shops use more "mix" than just soapy water, but i have found that what mixture % of mixes they use is as much personal preference based as recommended.

it is an art, but you can try it.

Thanks

well i bought a, i guess a starter kit and got 2 windows done, they look pretty good so far hopefully they will set up nice. i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. o and btw my buddy had a heat gun, so far i haven't had to use it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

The heat gun you'll notice you will need to use more so on curved glass around the edges. Tinting is definitely an art, I've gotten pretty good at it over the years. It just take practice. Make sure after you're done he doesn't roll down the windows for at least 3-4 days and do NOT clean them with Windex or any other Amonia-based product...it will actually eat the tint which causes it to turn purple and eventually deteriorate. I've always just used soapy water during the process, and I usually just wrap a terry-cloth over my hand to get the bubbles out...I've noticed when I used a credit card or a squeegy I tend to scratch the tint a little bit.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks

yea i know the cleaning thing i usually mine never get to dirty, i usually just wipe them off with a micro-fiber cloth. the car i'm tinting btw is a 2000 2 dr grand prix. i did the 2 small rear windows, they looked the easiest. they took me like an hour and a half to do and i only messed up once.
      i took a look at them this morning and i only see a couple very very small dots. other than that it looks pretty good, next is the front roll down windows.