•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Replacemnet Interval

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Timing Belt Replacemnet Interval

I would imagine this issue has been addressed before but I didn't find it when I searched. I have a 2010 Aveo with 50,000 miles. The owner's manual says timing belt replacement at 100,000 miles. Reading the forums here, I see a lot of people saying replace at 50,000 and some saying 60,000. Why these recommendations contrary to what the manufacturer says? If I could save the $100 dollars, or whatever the belt costs, I would like to, but not at the expense of my engine. Any thoughts?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Polluted,
      Your owners manual is correct. Chevy put in a different engine (ecotech) in the 2009+ model years, in the US at least. This engine had some improvements and redesigns that have apparently fixed the timing belt issues.

Also, unless you are planning on doing the work yourself, anticipate a higher bill for the timing belt job.

Frankly, having looked at the labor required for my 09 Aveo and the damage that can happen if it's done wrong, I'd rather pay someone to take the responsibility.
      Last edited by EAD15; 03-22-2014 at 07:03 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      i am in a similar situation about replacement but with '06 etec-ii gen coming up on 100k miles.. i was going to do the timing belt a second time soon just to be on the safe side although this might be way too soon, its just that i heard about all the stories of folks wrecking their motors so wanting to err on the side of caution

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I would change it unless you changed at the 50000 to 60000 mark. Eco and etec are two different engines. North my 2005 Aveo with a blown etec that i just purchased because i am doing it myself, has 105000 on it before it gave away. So you can wait and see, or change it and go on without regret.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi Polluted,

I’m sorry to hear that you experienced this problem with the timing belt in your Aveo. I suggest taking your vehicle to the dealership for it to be properly diagnosed. The timing belt is a component of your Powertrain Warranty, which is 5 years/ 100,000 miles. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like for us to look further into this concern. If our assistance is needed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. Thank you.

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Hi Polluted,

I’m sorry to hear that you experienced this problem with the timing belt in your Aveo. I suggest taking your vehicle to the dealership for it to be properly diagnosed. The timing belt is a component of your Powertrain Warranty, which is 5 years/ 100,000 miles. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like for us to look further into this concern. If our assistance is needed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. Thank you.

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      So your saying is that a belt that blows early on the newer cars is covered by the warranty now. Well how come they didnt do that for the older model vehicles and just grandfather them in. It would of saved thousands for people who had there just give out because they were unaware of that belt needing changed..

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      It would of saved thousands for people who had there just give out because they were unaware of that belt needing changed..
      People who are not aware of when a timing belt needs replacing is not GM's problem but entirely on the owner. A belt that snaps before the scheduled change is a different story. It is all outlined in the owners manual that comes with the car and if it didn't come with the car you can always call your dealer or get it online. You can also call a dealership to inquire about any special maintenance that is required for your car or in my case when I did the regular maintenance at the dealership they had advised me of the timing belt replacement at 100,000 km's. They also sent a letter in the mail reminding me of the timing belt and the damage it will incur if not replaced at the scheduled mileage. IMO.....Ignorance is not an excuse and you are SOL if you didn't take the time to thumb through the pages of your owners manual.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 03-24-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      People who are not aware of when a timing belt needs replacing is not GM's problem but entirely on the owner. A belt that snaps before the scheduled change is a different story. It is all outlined in the owners manual that comes with the car and if it didn't come with the car you can always call your dealer or get it online. You can also call a dealership to inquire about any special maintenance that is required for your car or in my case when I did the regular maintenance at the dealership they had advised me of the timing belt replacement at 100,000 km's. They also sent a letter in the mail reminding me of the timing belt and the damage it will incur if not replaced at the scheduled mileage. IMO.....Ignorance is not an excuse and you are SOL if you didn't take the time to thumb through the pages of your owners manual.
      Well the Kia dealership never told me anything about a belt breakage possibility nor was it in the manual. I checked yesterday with the Aveo handbook and all it tells is to replace the belt. Ok that should tell some mechanically inclined people to check the pulleys when it gets changed. But if a dealership doesnt tell you and they dont examine it, you are taking them at their word that it is ok. What I am saying really it needs to say plain and simply in the manual change belt, change water pump, change the pulley and change the tensioner on vehicles that have an interference engine. Most people are not mechanically inclined and if that is not in there they do not even know to even ask. Military manual for vehicles have all these little WARNINGS all in them. Civilian manuals should as well have these warnings. Or even a check engine light should come on at the 55000 mile mark to idiot proof it. Just my gripe.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I do understand what you are saying and yes dealerships should be a little more forth coming on important maintenance work like a timing belt change on an interference engine. I was very fortunate with my dealer that they advised me of the 100,000 km (60,000 mile) timing belt change when I was at 65,000 km's and also told me that it was in my best interest that I also replace the water pump while they had everything exposed. I was also told that the total cost would climb over a $1,000.00 and how did I repay them for their early warnings......I joined this forum and studied the timing belt change for almost a year and did it myself. That could be a reason why they do not like to give early warnings. As long as they have it outlined in the owners manual they don't have to say a word and the onus is all on the owner.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 03-25-2014 at 08:41 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      In my case, my 2009 Aveo lost it's timing belt at 93000 miles. I suffered engine damage as a result. A dealership said my powertrain warranty expired in 2013. Now, if the warranty schedule says replace at 100,000 miles, how was I to avoid this engine damage that resulted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast