•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timing belt attacked my 05 aveo ls!! HELP!! :(

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Angry timing belt attacked my 05 aveo ls!! HELP!! :(

ok i bought my 05 aveo last november and it had 88,000 miles on it.. i checked the belt and appeared to be new so i went on my way.. it only lasted about a month.. turns out they replaced the belt and not the tentioners or pullys.. the idler pully broke in half as i was getting off the freeway.. all the valves were smashed so i took the head to be rebuilt put it all back together and now when you start the car it doesnt want to stay running and has a knocking sound.. i have replaced just about everything on the top of the engine and still nothing.. i got brave enough to drive it down my drive way and i got burnt by hot water some how.. and theres gas mixing with the oil inside the head and i dont know what else to do!! any ideas??

Thanks
      It sounds like you probably have a leak between the block and head. I'd do a compression and/or leakdown test to verify that.

The P0300 you're getting is probably from a new crankshaft position sensor I'm guessing. In order to get rid of the code you'll have to bring it in to a dealer or someone else with a GM specific OBDII tool (I forget the name of it). I had to take mine to the dealer to get rid of it. Tell them it needs a crankshaft relearn procedure.

Thanks
      no i did not replace the crankshaft position sensor.. do u think that could be the problem?? i guess i could try the compression test when i get home from work.. whats a leak-down test?? also my dad seems to think the computer might need reset,, how would i go about doing that??

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by reva View Post
      ok i bought my 05 aveo last november and it had 88,000 miles on it.. i checked the belt and appeared to be new so i went on my way.. it only lasted about a month.. turns out they replaced the belt and not the tentioners or pullys.. the idler pully broke in half as i was getting off the freeway.. all the valves were smashed so i took the head to be rebuilt put it all back together and now when you start the car it doesnt want to stay running and has a knocking sound.. i have replaced just about everything on the top of the engine and still nothing.. i got brave enough to drive it down my drive way and i got burnt by hot water some how.. and theres gas mixing with the oil inside the head and i dont know what else to do!! any ideas??
      Hi Reva,

Sorry to hear about these issues you are having with your 2005 Aveo. I know you prefer to do your own work but for your safety, I suggest taking the vehicle into the dealer and have them service it. Because I'm not a Certified Mechanic/Tech, I am unable to diagnose.

Please keep me posted on how it goes and what the dealer's diagnosis is.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Thanks
      no i did not replace the crankshaft position sensor.. do u think that could be the problem?? i guess i could try the compression test when i get home from work.. whats a leak-down test?? also my dad seems to think the computer might need reset,, how would i go about doing that??
      I think using the old sensor is fine. Whatever it is, it needs to have the relearn procedure done if you keep getting the P0300 code. I reset mine a bunch of times while trying to fix it and it always came back.

This explains leak down testing: Leak-down tester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I would probably only do a leak down test if the compression test doesn't show anything wrong. But, if things are bad enough for the engine to run that badly, you'll probably see problems with the compression test.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      I think using the old sensor is fine. Whatever it is, it needs to have the relearn procedure done if you keep getting the P0300 code. I reset mine a bunch of times while trying to fix it and it always came back.
      If he's not also getting a P1336, I think it is unlikely that a relearn procedure will help. P0300 just indicates a misfire...which sound like it it a pretty obvious misfire from his description.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      The getting burned with hot water problem indicates a mechanical problem (leak) that a computer reset wouldn't help...unless the getting burned with hot water part was do to someone flushing the toilet when you were in the shower.

Gas mixing with the oil in the head? How do you know it is happening in the head? I would tend to think an injector is stuck open but that is just a guess.

How bad were the pistons damaged and were they replaced?
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      im pretty sure the water came from the over flow because i had just filled it,, plus i didnt want to sound lame and say i "slightly" forgot how to drive stick and stalled out.. lol i replaced the spark plug wiresyet again and the code went away.. now theres no code and it still sounds horrible,, thats why we thought it might be the computer.. im not exactly sure the gas is mixing with the oil inside the head but every time i pull out the spark plugs they are covered in gas.. and i just replace them because that seems like a fire hazzard.. does it matter if i use the copper spark plugs?? because i havent been i have the auto-lites.. i have replaced them like 4 times..

the pistons were not damaged at all surprisingly!! not even a scratch!!

i havent had a chance to do the compression test yet but im sure its fine,, although it never hurts to do it anyway..

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Are all the plugs soaked with gas or just 2? (I'm assuming you mean the electrode part of the plug below the threads)

Thanks
      It sounds like it's still out of time. If the timing is off by only 1 or 2 teeth, it will run, but very badly. Also for a relearn, one thing you can do is disconnect and remove the battery, then touch the terminals together and hold them there for about 1 minute. That will reset the computer to factory default and the computer will start learning from scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast