•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say what? No oil changes needed?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Say what? No oil changes needed?

I recently passed the 30k mile mark and that means regular maintainence, I was concerned for a particular reason this time because every 15k I "believed" I needed to get my transmission oil changed (automatic), I went to one place before (at the 1st 15k mark) and got it done for about $100 bucks and was satisfied.

Back to the present, I was looking around at different shops and I went to another shop and they said it would cost about $300 to do the same thing again, just because of the particular oil used, I said WTF and got out of there fast...

But it got me thinking and I decided to find out the truth, so I went to my trusted dealer (lol just the service shop), and asked for the truth, I got talking to a guy named J.R. who is apparently the Aveo expert (his portfolio of previous service works had roughly 30-40 Aveo reports, so yea he knows.

He said something that kind of suprised and shocked me, he said that the auto-tranny Aveo DOES NOT NEED OIL CHANGES EVER for the life of the car, I asked why and cause he said the oil used is really top shelf stuff, nearly $14/quart, and the transmission holds about 6-8 quarts, that alone is about $100 so I'm like wow and I got to more thinking...

Does the Aveo need transmission oil changes or is it just me? How can an Aveo NOT need work like that? It's a freakin engine, how can something as important as a transmission not need service? I've never heard of a car that doesn't need work...

Someone help me before I decide to spend a quoted $180 for just the transmission (not including other "reccomended" stuff like timing belt check, spark plugs, coolant fluid, brake fluid, cabin air filter, engine air filter check and brake pads. I already did the cabin air filter, coolant fluid and yesterday just did the spark plugs on my own for the first time-- DO IT YOURSELF, IT'S SO FREAKING EASY! -- I just got a special wrench socket for spark plugs ($4 from a sale bin at dealership), and the spark plugs ($16 for 4).

Anyway I'm gonna be spending around $300-$500 depending on where I go and I'm lookin for the best deal, but I'm not in any way going to save a buck at the cost of my car's life span, I wanna take good care of it.

"If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thats bs.

And 6-8 courts of ATF would be about $65-70 and thats ROYAL PURPLE
      http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?a ... 13&pcid=75

Most of that stuff I would do myself. Its all pretty easy.

Hell even red line tranny fluid is only $10/quart

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Ur Tranny takes more oil than your engine? Dayum...

But yea, just do it yourself if you need. Got an owner's manual? It will tell you if it needs to be changed...

If I were to not ever change it, I would suggest going back to the dealership and getting that guy to sign a paper stating that he told you that... because if your engine blows and you didn't do the routine maintenance, no warranty...
      -- xtreme 2

Body Kits | Exhaust | Intakes | More!
      http://www.dlspeedonline.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/DLSpeed

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      ^^
      You mean when the trannny slips.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      it says right in the manual the mileage you need to do everything and im pretty sure i saw something in there about changing it

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sappy96
      ^^
      You mean when the trannny slips.
      touche...
      -- xtreme 2

Body Kits | Exhaust | Intakes | More!
      http://www.dlspeedonline.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/DLSpeed

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The Auto tranny gets the oil change- often. Royal Purple. It's the 'MANUAL' that supposedly never needs to be changed. How can 2 quarts of tranny oil survive the abuse of the lifespan of the vehicle? Anybody have a 2004? How's that silvery-gray sludged out tranny oil treatin' ya? I don't care what the F'ing manual says, crack the case, and change it.

Thanks
      The ATF and the transmission itself in my old mk2 Jetta outlasted the chassis and body... Odometer stopped working at around 240k miles... Never once changed the transmission fluid. At the end of it's life the tranny was "rough" but the back end fell apart before I changed the fluid and filter...

I'm a firm believer that ATF doesn't need to be changed until it starts shifting funny.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Did you buy your Jetta brand new?

I would change it. It is supposed to be changed every 30k miles if Im not mistaken.

Thanks
      My mom's boyfriend bought it new and did all the service himself. Never once had the fluid/filter changed.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast