•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: performance

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

performance

ok now i know yall have probably heard this before but i dont see it.

i want to make some descent gains in horsepower and tourq on my 2008 chevy aveo 5 with out compromising my fuel mileage and need some ideas

got any?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      cold air intake would be a start, new spark plugs would help as well, you can not do too much without losing your mpg's and staying cheap

Thanks
      i have replaced the spark plugs pulstar tritium pulse plugs and removed the muffler and replaced it with pipe only and that seems to have helped my low end power

intake wise im looking into removeing the box filter and replacing it with pipe then ending it with a cone filter

but im looking for more good piggy back systems, light weight pulies, turbos kits (or kits that will fit), over sized cams, better cam bearings, plugs wires and distributors that would complement my new plugs... ect

this is my first 4 cylender post 80 product btw so excuse me if i sound slightly off

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gunz View Post
      i have replaced the spark plugs pulstar tritium pulse plugs and removed the muffler and replaced it with pipe only and that seems to have helped my low end power

intake wise im looking into removeing the box filter and replacing it with pipe then ending it with a cone filter

but im looking for more good piggy back systems, light weight pulies, turbos kits (or kits that will fit), over sized cams, better cam bearings, plugs wires and distributors that would complement my new plugs... ect

this is my first 4 cylender post 80 product btw so excuse me if i sound slightly off
      a lot of those items listed not only would destroy your mpg but also are not available to purchase right off the shelf

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      On a naturally aspirated engine it's very hard to improve the performance of your engine without seeing your fuel consumption increase, you need to buy a diesel if you want to be able to improve both at the same time. You must remember that these cars don't have the same cult following as Civics or VWs. Most owners are people who don't give a second thought about their car, at this price it's just an object that you throw to the garbage when you are done with it, so don't expect a lot of performance parts to be available...

Thanks
      some yes but most not realy a good piggy back system, light weight pulies, better cam bearings, plugs wires and distributors that would complement my new plugs would add to both when driving normaly exesive fuel consumption would not happen unless you are hard on the trottle beacuse all your doing is allowing the engine to run with less resistance.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      you can buy an underdrive pulley from daox, he has a few for sale, but most parts you listed have to be made custom

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      honestly, in the type of spark plug control systems out now, those plugs are almost a gimmick. But if you are happy with them, keep them.

piggy back is universal. so its available, just need to wire it in and tune it. I have never heard of "better cam bearings" to increase mileage or performance.. i'm not even sure the aveo uses cam bearings.. this car doesn't have a distributor. Although the 2008 does have plug wires. i would say trying 90 16v vw wires would probably fit, and be available in a performance application.

tires, wheel weight, will also effect performance AND economy. so consider that.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Performance plugs and wires will do little to no good without increasing you spark capabilities with performance coils and control module. A good quality brand plug will do you best and in a car this new use platinum or another precious metal plug, you will only burn up standard resistor plugs.

There are no cam bearings in most if not all OHC (over-head cam) engines. I have yet to see an OHC head that has bearings and I've been in Mitzu's, VW's, Deawoo (the aveo), Gms and Toyotas. Cam bearings to my knowledge are only used in push-rod motors.

As said earlier, these cars were meant for the people than need a car for A-B driving and not for performance driving. You best bet is to either do the intake and under-drive pulleys and be happy or start piecing together a turbo kit. (I don't believe a "KIT" exists for these cars yet.)

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Grounding Kit will help the throttle response and might give you a little bit of power, It's cheap and pretty easy on these. I have pics of mine in my build thread off my signature.

http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast