•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil change confusion

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

oil change confusion

The first time I changed the oil and filter on my 2009 aveo ls 5, after I added the 4.8 quarts and running the car, I wiped the dipstick clean and checked it. It showed the level about an eighth of an inch below full. I added that last .2 of a quart I had left and repeated the procedure. The dipstick showed the same. About an eighth below full. I added about a quarter of a quart. Same story, the amount of oil showing on the dipstick did not change.
      I can't remember if I eventually added another quarter quart with still no change but I think I might have.
      So I changed the oil for the second time yesterday hoping that my original problem was some miscalculation or a "short quart" but exactly the same thing happened. This time I stopped after adding the last .2 of a quart but I am wondering if others are having this problem. I talked to the Chevy shop and they didn't have any idea.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Well the system has to fill up the oil filter location. (I can't remember if it has a check valve or not) if it would stay there. And sometimes adding oil will stay in the head for a little while.

Did you push the dipstick all the way in? Just an obvious possible mistake...

Were you parked perfectly level checking it with the engine off?

Did you accidentally change/drain the tranny and never adjust the oil level?

No trying to make you feel you need to be defensive. But these have all occurredon this site.

Thanks
      Really, if its between the two marks I'd say its fine and leave it. There is no danger until you start to go below the low oil mark. Theres no real benefit to having it all the way up to the full line. In fact, you might start incurring more windage losses if you fill up too far.

Thanks

not obvious mistakes

Thanks for the imput and thankfully I didn't make any of the obvious mistakes.
      It is on level ground. It remained at that same level, even though on the first oil change I added close to 3/4's of a quart more. ( That is the part that really baffles me).

I checked it the next day( so everything that was going to drain down had drained down) and it was still at the same level.
      I definitely had the dipstick all the way in.
      It was not the transmission fluid, although I came close to doing that once years ago on a car I had just bought.

Obviously this is not a huge deal. I will live with it at that level. I was just curious if otheres had experienced the same problem and how much oil were they putting in.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Uh... Oil capacity WITH A FILTER CHANGE is 4 quarts on the 09s with the "ecotec" engine.....

I just changed my oil on my 09 Aveo5 last week.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Hmm.. I didn't catch that. I'd have to look though, to verify.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I was under the assumption that the oil capacity was 3.75. I always just add 4qts.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      Ok ask did you put any oil in the oil filter before you put the oil filter on. I all ways put oil in the oil filter. with the 305 350 400 454cars and trucks it easier because the filter mounts straight up and down and take all most a full liter. With the aveo and most fwd cars the filter mounts sideways so the oil run out if you fill it up so I fill it 1/2 way, filling it half fast it be like a 1/4 because filter soaks up the oil in the paper part. run the after the rest of of said oil is in rev the motor @ about 1500 -2000 RPM like 1-2 min then check the oil it should be down a little. If you do not start the motor and did not put any oil in the filter what ever oil in the motor will read lower even if you let it sit over night. I pretty sure that 09-10 are the same as the 04-08 the thing is to that filter holds a lot more then most People think, and it will not get oil in it unless you run the motor if you do not put any in it ( if you do a dry filter I would run the motor 3 min at 2000- 2500 rpm . ) the 04-08 motor only takes 3.8 + oil to fill the oil filter. I guessing that might be it but I could be wrong. 04-08 But if your have the sma filter then this will work.Fram Part # PH3387A is the stock factory size. Here's a oil filter that is a little longer then factory one. Fram Part # PH3980 this is a good little mod that helps cool the oil makes sure there a little extra oil for the pick up to get oil up the top end.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      09 has a filter cartridge, and the housing points almost straight (35 degrees maybe) down..

Thanks
      In my owners manual, the capacity for oil and filter change is listed as 4.8 quarts.
      This is the 2009 ecotec.
      Seemed like a lot of oil for that small an engine but that is what it says. So, even if that was a misprint, if I put 4.8 quarts in it ( and that was too much) wouldn't you think it would show too much oil on the dipstick rather than too little? I agree with the poster who said, with this internal cartridge filter it doesn't seem possible to put oil in the filter beforehand. I will have to investigate and make sure the 4.8 quarts is correct but how low would the oil on the dipstick be if I was only adding 4 quarts. I have gone about 4k miles between changes and haven't really seen any movement on the level on the dipstick during that time.
      Thanks again for all the imput.
      I have been changing my own oil for about 40 years and haven't run into this kind of puzzler before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast