•  

Thread: First Oil Change

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

First Oil Change

So I'm changing the oil on the car, its first oil change, around 600 miles. Problem is, the filter is an absolute b*tch to get off. Its the original filter.

I've tried a universal oil filter wrench that my dad had given to me awhile back. That didn't work. It was way too loose, and there was a lot of slippage. I also tried a fitted wrench, 74/76mm 14 flute 2 step wrench. It seemed to be a much better fit, but there was still some slippage. It fit perfectly fine on the replacement filter that I'm planning on using (M101). Also, I have to use an adapter from 1/2" to 3/8" on my socket wrench for the filter wrench, making it a little too tight between the fan and the filter.

Anyone know a good wrench out there that is tried and true that will make this a little easier for next time? I was thinking a strap wrench might be the way to go, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
      I FINALLY got the filter off. It took 4 trys of me coming inside to get some water, taking a 15 minute break, then going out to try again. Thats rediculous. The 74/76mm 14 flute 2 step wrench worked OK. I'm not sure if I'll use it again though, I think I might try the strap wrench next time.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i use a Screwdriver this is an old trick that my grandfather tought me. you take the screwdriver placing it on filter about middle to top and use a hammer to punch the filter with the screwdriver. now you have a big ass handle to undo the filter. now this is very messy and you can not use this same methed to put new filter on but the old filter get tossed anyway
      You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks
      You can also use an old leather belt, or rubber strap (in lieu of a strap/belt wrench)... just wrap it around the filter and turn.

The 2 pack craftsman strap wrench set I bought was worth every penny.

When putting the new filter on "hand tight" is perfectly acceptable.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks
      Yeah, I hand tightened it, lubed the gasket before I put it on. I might end up buying the craftsman strap wrench set. They look like they'd be rather handy.

I thought about doing the screwdriver in the side of the filter... but it worried me that I still might not be able to get it off. Then I'd be stuck with a filter with a hole in it. And a mess. Not good. It probably would have worked, but I didn't want to risk it not working.

ADMIN: Shouldn't this post be moved to the forum's Engine category?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by B1rdbrain
      i use a Screwdriver this is an old trick that my grandfather tought me. you take the screwdriver placing it on filter about middle to top and use a hammer to punch the filter with the screwdriver. now you have a big ass handle to undo the filter. now this is very messy and you can not use this same methed to put new filter on but the old filter get tossed anyway
      I tried putting on the new one like that, SUCKED when I started the motor and oil got everywhere..LOL
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Holden Barina
      ADMIN: Shouldn't this post be moved to the forum's Engine category?

uh....it is.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

the screwdriver trick... I learned about that one my first oil change. I'm hoping the fram no-slip filter works in about 4k more miles.