•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oem muffler replacement

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks guy's I never thought to add another resonator. The reason I had the muffler replaced is because the baffles started getting noisy. When it was cold it would make a louder than stock noise. When it was hot the noise would go away. My son who has the sonic turbo just replaced his exhaust. He has his original muffler. I know that from looking at it it is not a direct bolt in but I'm sure I can make it work. My wife and I just want it to be quite especially my wife! I'll let you guy's know how it goes.

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks
      Who needs a muffler, I simply cut mine off and just ran some pip to the back. Sweet sound and no issues.
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Here's the update. I had the muffler shop take my muffler off of my car, the 07, and replace the piece of junk that was on her car. Her car is now quite and to her liking. On my car I got the muffler from my son's sonic as he replaced his exhaust. The muffler is about 1 1/2" longer. Also the body seam between the trunk floor pan and the rear body panel was cut away to allow the muffler to fit. This muffler sits vertically as opposed to the Aveo's which is mounted horizontally. The sound at idle and lite cruising is as quite as stock. When punched the sound is slightly louder. As a benefit the tail pipe which didn't show now sticks out about 2" inches from the body and is 2"in diameter! Now the Aveo looks like it's going to do something even though it won't.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Old thread, but I'm updating just in case anyone who is looking to replace their muffler reads it for advice.

As already posted, I replaced my factory muffler with a Walker. I did that swap 3 years ago, and the connector pipe from the Walker muffler to the mid pipe rusted out last week. The muffler itself also had rust, and was also likely to go through soon as well. So the oem muffler lasted 8 years, and the Walker replacement just 3 years. Walker (via Rockauto) did replace the muffler under warranty, and my only cost was one side of the shipping, which was $9. However, they don't cover labor, so that's another consideration if you don't DIY.

I'm guessing that it's probably common for these aftermarket guys cheap out on the materials, figuring that most of the vehicles won't be on the road that many more years anyway. So they trade a few warranty replacements in exchange for lower manufacturing costs on their entire line.

So this is another thing to consider this before making a decision on a replacement muffler. And, if you're trying to keep the vehicle on the road as long as possible, you might consider using stainless bolts and nuts in order to make warranty replacement easier, unless you're welding instead of bolting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12