•  

Thread: new spark plugs in aluminum head

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Red face new spark plugs in aluminum head

i have about 25,000 miles on my 2010 aveo and was wondering if there are any problems with the plugs seizing to the aluminum head. i had a chevy cavalier that had a slight problem with one of the plugs feeling kind of mushy. i'll probably change them when the warranty expires. thanks

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      there is always that risk but the 1.6 aveo engine is not known for seizing sparkplug problems.if u want to be extra safe you can drop a little penetrating oil in the spark plug cylinder sleeves before you goto bed and change plugs in the morning.this was a common problem with fords 4.6 and 5.4 engines and this was 1 of the solutions for not breaking the plugs.but like i said never heard of some1 breaking an aveo plug(they were ngk from factory)

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dwelch View Post
      i have about 25,000 miles on my 2010 aveo and was wondering if there are any problems with the plugs seizing to the aluminum head. i had a chevy cavalier that had a slight problem with one of the plugs feeling kind of mushy. i'll probably change them when the warranty expires. thanks
      By seizing in the head I assume you mean the plug snaps off instead of threading out?

I've personally known of that happening only twice. Once in my father's 88 Chevy Caprice 4.3 V6 and once in a coworkers 88 Toyota truck 3.0 V6. In both cases I think the plugs had been in the engine in excess of 5 years. If you are really concerned about it, I'd take charlieb's advice on the penetrating oil.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
      there is always that risk but the 1.6 aveo engine is not known for seizing sparkplug problems.if u want to be extra safe you can drop a little penetrating oil in the spark plug cylinder sleeves before you goto bed and change plugs in the morning.this was a common problem with fords 4.6 and 5.4 engines and this was 1 of the solutions for not breaking the plugs.but like i said never heard of some1 breaking an aveo plug(they were ngk from factory)

Are you referring to the same Ford engines that sometimes jettisoned a spark plug while running. I wonder if that engineer that design that head still works for Ford.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dwelch View Post
      if you leave the, in you'll "void" that part of the warranty. plug change interval is 25000 miles. use stock replacements until warranty runs out though..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      never try to change the plugs on ab aluminum head when the head is hot. there is a good chance you will pull the threads out with the plug. seen it done to many times.