•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: light weight crank pulley

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: light weight crank pulley

Designing the pulley is a little more involved. You need to calculated if the other systems can run efficiently at the slower speed. I know a few people alelready have larger radios that dim their headlights adding a 15% drop in speed to the alternator might create a drivability issue.

You also need to consider other things that may or may not be factors in the aveo. In the case of the aveo I would attempt turning one on a lathe to lighten it. In my case could even go underdrive. But I think looking into it could produce a different shortcut.

Thanks

Its really not that bad. Chances are you'll never even notice the reduction in rpm @ the power steering and A/C compressor. The only thing you should be concerned about is the alternator. So, of course if you have a high powered sound system an underdrive pulley would be a bad idea since you're using more power and need the alternator spinning as fast as it normally would. For a 'normal' car, I don't think a 15% reduction would be noticeable. I've had them on a few cars and never had problems, but I don't run a big sound system either.

In any case, I'll start a new thread where we can discuss the design of this new pulley. I have it mostly drawn up already.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

who makes the lightweight flywheel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12