•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help please

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

help please

Alright, I decided to try to take on the timing belt....it's almost done. I CANNOT get the marks to line up. I used a camshaft lock tool, but I don't think it worked because of the fact the left camshaft moved. The right camshaft timing mark is facing directly inward while the left on has moved down about a tooth. Crankshaft mark is in the correct location as well. How do I go about this?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Tough to give you advice because I don't know exactly what your problem with the tool is. If it's the Lisle tool, once it's locked on the 2 cam sprockets, everything is solidly fixed in place and won't move. If there's movement, then probably one or more of the 4 nubs of the tool isn't in the right spot on the cams. But I can't explain that in words because there's no reference point. I took a look at the Lisle website, and they have a short video of it, but no close-up. But maybe that's enough to tell you what's going wrong for you.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Tough to give you advice because I don't know exactly what your problem with the tool is. If it's the Lisle tool, once it's locked on the 2 cam sprockets, everything is solidly fixed in place and won't move. If there's movement, then probably one or more of the 4 nubs of the tool isn't in the right spot on the cams. But I can't explain that in words because there's no reference point. I took a look at the Lisle website, and they have a short video of it, but no close-up. But maybe that's enough to tell you what's going wrong for you.
      How do I move the cam shafts, they moved...I marked the belts at 12 oclock...timing marks facing inward. Timing marks are off. My marks are off. How do I manually spin the camshafts?

Thanks
      Can I retime the car?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You orginally said one cam was off by only one tooth, but what you wrote now looks like something worse. So exactly where are you at with this?. If it's really still just off by one tooth, just turn the left cam sprocket counter-clockwise that very small amount manually to get it lined up. But if it's now more than one tooth off, you need to completely describe everything that you did.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      To manually turn the camshaft just use the bolt in the middle to turn it. I forget the size wrench you'd need, but just slowly apply more and more of your super arm strength until it turns to where you need it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Before you removed the old belt did you mark the belts teeth, sprockets and crankshaft pulley? If you did then remove the belt and try again. Move the sprockets enough so they line up with your marks but don't spin them around completely with out the belt. When I did mine I removed the camshaft sprockets (to remove rear timing cover) which made the marks automatically out of alignment. Since my belt and sprockets were all marked with a bright silver marker it was pretty easy to have it all line up again, although, i did panic for a bit at the time as I was very green doing that kind of a maintenance job for the first time ever. Now, I look forward to the next belt replacement.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      Before you removed the old belt did you mark the belts teeth, sprockets and crankshaft pulley? If you did then remove the belt and try again. Move the sprockets enough so they line up with your marks but don't spin them around completely with out the belt. When I did mine I removed the camshaft sprockets (to remove rear timing cover) which made the marks automatically out of alignment. Since my belt and sprockets were all marked with a bright silver marker it was pretty easy to have it all line up again, although, i did panic for a bit at the time as I was very green doing that kind of a maintenance job for the first time ever. Now, I look forward to the next belt replacement.
      Thank you guys for all the replies. ... so this is where I'm at. I got all the marks and my marks to line up. Applied tension. Turned the crank twice, relived and reapplied tension. Now all the marks are off exactally one toothe but all marks are perfect. Another thing is I had to kinda feel for the tension, because the tensioner indicator pulley doesn't do anything my belt applies tension opposite to what its suposed to go. Any thoughts?

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ave07 View Post
      Now all the marks are off exactally one toothe but all marks are perfect.

Which marks are perfect? The one that matters after you rotate twice is the marks on the two camshaft sprockets pointing inwards at each other and the crankshaft pulley mark that points down @ dead centre. The marks on your belt will no longer line up with those marks when you do the rotation twice.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      Which marks are perfect? The one that matters after you rotate twice is the marks on the two camshaft sprockets pointing inwards at each other and the crankshaft pulley mark that points down @ dead centre. The marks on your belt will no longer line up with those marks when you do the rotation twice.
      Ok that's what I meant...so that's good....whats the deal with the tensioner, its got to be the worst engineering I seen in a while, it doesn't even work....thanks for the reply man. Yall are giving me the encouragement to go start her up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast