•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel ?s

Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      just my input: it's a pain in the ass to drive cars with lightweight flywheels in the city.
      I agree.

Also, for further proof... the engine in formula 1 cars are 2.8L v-8s that push well over 800hp... with no turbo, no supercharger, and on gasoline (not methanol or ethanol). The key is high compression and light weight rotating assembly.

Something to keep in mind is that the flywheel may let the engine accelerate 2x faster, but when you add back the rotating mass of the driveline, you may only see a 20% increase, as opposed to 200%

Quote Originally Posted by megaveo610
      no i didnt bother...i know it all comes down to math...im gonna have my physics major look at it, cuz its still fishy to me, and def not worth the effort in my opinion
      Physics major this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_moment_of_inertia

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      just my input: it's a pain in the ass to drive cars with lightweight flywheels in the city.
      how does it make it harder to drive? just out of curiousity...

You can stall easier... it also means that you have to rev a little higher to get the clutch to clamp unless you upgrade that (which btw is a cheap upgrade actually)

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      thats it? i thought it was something drastic

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      well i challenge a dyno run on it...whomever puts this on their car i wanna see dyno before and after before i believe it
      "Flywheel will show gains on an inertia dyno (Dynojet), and depending on which gear you do the run in it will show different gains. I have some dynos somewhere...

Quote:
      Reese arranged to take both cars to a dyno before their modifications. First up was the new ZO6, which produced 357.3 hp and 351.8 ft-lb of torque on its third run. Water temperature was 191oF and oil temp was at 210oF. Outside temperature was 53oF. The runs were made in fourth gear from 2,000 rpm to 6,400 rpm, and it took 14 seconds for the car to reach its maximum horsepower. Now that we'd established a baseline, it was time to install the new parts in Denny's ZO6. Reese's crew consisted of himself, David Munder, Chris Harwood, and Jesus Garcia. In a blink of the eye, the center console, wheels, rear suspension, transmission, and torque tube were removed from the new ZO6. Next, the stock pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel were removed and weighed. The three factory parts hit the scale at 51 pounds. The new Fidanza 12.5-pound aluminum flywheel (PN 198571, retails at $439.00), and the 14.5-pound Spec Stage 1 clutch/pressure plate unit (PN SC091, retails at $299.00) totaled 27 pounds--a savings of 24 pounds of rotating weight at the crankshaft! The team installed the new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate in record time, and they all fit perfectly. Three hours and ten minutes after the first wrench was turned, the crew had finished reinstalling all of the parts, and the car was returned to the dyno!

Fortunately our weather was holding and the outside temperature was 54oF for our repeat test. On the way to the dyno, we noticed a slight increase in clutch pedal pressure over the stock unit, but it was not annoying. Our best of three runs netted 366.6 hp and 360.4 lbs of torque--a gain of 9.3 hp and 8.6 ft-lb of torque. Maximum horsepower was achieved in 11 vs. 14 seconds with the stock parts, and maximum torque was seen in 9 vs. 11 seconds with the stock parts! Back on the road, Denny's Z06 revved a little quicker and required a lighter push on the loud pedal. We could feel the difference. Satisfied with our results, we headed back to the shop to make preparations for the next day.

The MTI team started the next day off by taking Reese's black, modified Z06 to the dyno. The outside temperature was 56oF, and three runs were made in fourth gear from 2,000 to 6,500 rpm. The third run produced the best readings with 437.5 horsepower and 376.2 ft-lb of torque at the rear wheels with the factory flywheel/ clutch/pressure plate. Water temperature was 193oF and the oil was 209. The car was returned to the shop to install the new parts. The team installed another Fidanza PN 198571 flywheel, this time with a SPEC Stage 3 Clutch with Hybrid Pressure Plate (retails for $699.00). The job took four hours because the long tube headers on this car are a tight fit and are difficult to remove. Back at the dyno, the outside temperature was 58oF, and Reese made three runs in fourth gear from 2,000 to 6,500 rpm. The third run produced 449.2 hp and 400.3 ft-lb of torque. Water temperature was 194oF and the oil was 210 degrees. This was a net gain of 12 hp and 21.10 ft-lb of torque. Maximum horsepower was achieved in 8 vs. 9 seconds with the stock parts, and maximum torque was achieved in 5 vs. 6.4 seconds with the stock parts.

At the conclusion of the tests, Reese shared his observations with us about installing the Fidanza and SPEC components into our test cars. "The important thing to look at in this test procedure is the time to speed relationship, not necessarily the increase in horsepower. Keep in mind the test device we used was an inertia dyno. A flywheel does not make any horsepower, but it shows up as a horsepower gain because you have reduced the inertia on an inertia dyno. So you need to look at the reduction in time to speed that was created by the reduction of inertia. We went from 14 to 11 seconds to 145 mph on the stock Z06. What that tells you is how the car is going to feel on the street. It is going to accelerate quicker to the redline."

Kinda sums up what a light flywheel does.

Edit: Dyno graphs added.

Stock Z06 before/after

Modified Z06 before/after

Just remember, in first gear the flywheel gives the highest gains, in each proceeding gear the gains will be less noticeable. I suspect that the flywheel would give 1whp in 6th gear if that, but in 1st gear it should give around 10-15whp on an inertia dyno.""

A dyno isn't going to prove physics wrong lol

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Due to the lighter rotating mass, it'll also be more difficult to get up hills without losing speed, especially in higher gears, since everything spins down faster (lesser momentum or whatever vs a heavier flywheel).

I would stay away from this mod unless it's a dedicated track car, or you drive all highway, and don't get stuck in traffic.

I haven't too terribly much experience with cars that have swapped flywheels, but the few that I have driven where a huge pain in the ass to drive.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      well i was asking why because it isnt really worth it...its solely for weight reduction and i dont think 10 pounds is worth it...besides...they're usually put in conjuction with short shift kits, performence clutch and uhhhh oh ya RACE CARS
      All I have to say is every little bit helps. I'd be interested in the flywheel if someone started reproducing it.
      2006 Chevy Aveo LS Hatchback - getting sold soon
      1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - The daily mommy shuttle
      1998 Lexus SC400
      1988 Toyota Supra - fully built JDM 7MGTE T40 Turbo

I used to drive a 1978 Pontiac Firebird TransAm with a Supercharged Chevy 350. I put a lightweight flywheel in it. Sure, I had awesome acceleration on a straightaway. But I did notice on an incline, I had to depress the gas more than normal to travel up the hill. I then traded that lightweight flywheel for one which was about 8 lbs heavier. My incline climb was better and my deceleration was better as well. The idle wasn't as high either.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by aveogyrl
      well i was asking why because it isnt really worth it...its solely for weight reduction and i dont think 10 pounds is worth it...besides...they're usually put in conjuction with short shift kits, performence clutch and uhhhh oh ya RACE CARS
      All I have to say is every little bit helps. I'd be interested in the flywheel if someone started reproducing it.
      Actually tomorrow I plan on seeing how much (just a general quote) it would be to get lightweight flywheels made.

What I've never gotten an answer to though is how would these do with automatic transmissions?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast