•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equal lenght cv joints

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Equal lenght cv joints

I was looking at my cv joints today and was wondering if anyone know how to do a equal lenght cv joint set up for the Aveo, that would reduce the understeer a lot, my Versa has equal lenght cv's and the steering is better, more precise. This swap would be easy but finding the right CV may be hard... I mean, last resort would be to take the unit to the parts store and try to match it with a cv from another vehicle.
      On another note, my Versa engine is way, more complex than the Aveo, the airbox system alone has so many parts to it, its ridiculous. The intake runners wraps on top of the engine and to access the plugs u have to pull it off! Seriously? I'm glad the Aveo is so simple, doing the timing belt don't seem so hard anymore!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      what do you mean? make the axles the same length? just push you drivers side wheel out about a foot..

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      what do you mean? Make the axles the same length? Just push you drivers side wheel out about a foot..
      +1 :-p....

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      sounds like a versa love thread

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      sounds like a versa love thread
      Oh, don't start with me Hunterboy... Like I sayd, the Nissan is gonna be a nightmare to do maintenance... I think the Aveo is one of the few cars that still very simple in design and easy to work on, Toyota/Honda are also a nightmare, just the vaccum lines alone can reach from here to the Moon!
      Allright, since some of u guys dont know what I mean: most front wheel drive cars have one long CV joint(under the engine, somewhat) and a short one under the tranny, the difference in lenght causes understeer during aceleration, most people don't even know about this, some cars have on the long shaft a streess bearing support that bolts to the engine, a solid axle cames out of the tranny, goes into this support and than the CV is mounted from the support to the axle, that basicly makes both CV's the same lenght, causes the streess to be equal and eliminates some of the understeer. This is mostly used in racing aplications and rally cars that have the unequal lenght shafts. For street use is kind of a overkill but so is a 'turbo'. To me it is interesting because it brings the streess on the parts down, makes the unit more solid and helps the car to handle better, furthermore it makes the CV's less likelly to fail. I hope this helped.
      And Hunter, not another word from u!!! LMAOL

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      a w-body is better than your versa, just saying

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Ok time to get serious. I believe it's been done before. The axles would have to come from a European car... I believe the Vauxhall Astra has same length axles that fit. Don't quote me on that though.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle with equal length drive shafts. I'm not even sure that that has that much to do with torque steer... I highly doubt your drive shafts are flexing THAT much under the massive power output of the Aveo.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Seems like adding another bearing in there would cause a loss of power, and something else that could break? I think swapping in thicker axles would be a better solution for the size and power of the car.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      your talking about the axles, like i asked. the cv joints are the same size on both sides.

but your saying you want a carrier bearing axle like a saturn, thing is, that wont really help torque steer at all. not sure why you think the versa doesn't have it even if it has equal length axles most of the torque steer you would be feeling is the fact that only one wheel gets power under acceleration, and you need to "turn" to point that wheel forward with the car, a diff will make both wheels spin equally regardless of axle length. Eliminate pretty much all the torque steer that you can feel, but it makes handlingin corners feel very different. The common reason torque steer is blamed entirely on different length axles is the longer axle is usually the drive wheel, most of the time. It really the axle shaft pitches on the cv joints, if you adjust the car accordingly, with the diff the torque steer will go away completely.

Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 10-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast