•  

Thread: Engine Swap Noobie

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine Swap Noobie

Well long story short my fiance got a car passed down to her from her sis and its a piece. 2004 base model automatic trans. The engine is shot because the "mechanic" we took it to broke it. It was atleast runnin before we took it to him and now its not. Anywho, is the a engine we can upgrade to that bolts to the tranny? Also if we don't wanna upgrade just the engine what vehicle can the engine and tranny come out of that bolts in with no modifications?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      honestly, the amount of money would would spend for the swap would be the price of another car unless you do the work yourself. That mechanic should be paying to fix it. Odds are depending on what work he did, that it is the plugs and wires needing redone. Unless the timing was set wrong or it was run without oil or something.

Cruze engines will fit, newer aveo engines will fit, the sonic engine, many daewoo engine will fit. almost anything will fit with work..

Thanks
      Yea I was talkin to a old guy a while ago and he smashed a 350 in a vw bug so I know anything is possible she I would do it myself but I didn't know if it was a diff make or model that would bolt in with no mods cause because I would try it myself with a buddy. They Aveo engines 150,000 or 35000 all I see are $1000 or better.but yea her mom wanted to help a friend saying he could stop the high rpm at idle nd do a full tune up and next thing.I hear he broke head bolts timing.tenshiner bolts, ??? More bolts, timing belts and had the engine out. Needless to say I think he took what he needed of of it cause he brouht it back saying we need a new engine. Well, ima start saving

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if anything get the 09+ engine, complete with harness and swap that in. newer design, "better" and bolts right in for the most part. Although you will need the engine harness computer etc..

350 in a bug is a waste really. but you can stick a 350 in anything, i put one in a chevette.

not sure why the guy would even tear the head bolts off doing what you say needed done. one thing is for sure. do not return to him. You can also swap in a 06+ aveo engine (direct swap) and not spend the 1000 bucks on an engine. you could also find a 2.0 liter engine from a daewoo and put that in there, maybe even the 2.2. but again you need drop out engines and everything to the ecu/body harness plug.

Thanks
      Thanks guys ... I may just get another unless I find a good deal. I'll keep my eyes open and search.