•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay ChromeIntakes kit question

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

eBay ChromeIntakes kit question

So I did some browsing and I found a cold air intake kit on eBay from ChromeIntakes which I'm mostly interested in for tubing. At $47 buck with $18 shipping for $65 total it doesn't sound like too bad of a price. Did anyone get a kit from them or have heard of an experience with them? They're using 3" polished aluminum tubing, which is a little bigger than what I've seen recommended on here. How does that compare to high end expensive kits? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: eBay ChromeIntakes kit question

mine is from chromeintakes. works good, the couplers are fine as well. i used their entire kit.

difference between more expensive and cheaper intakes is mostly heat soak of the materials. but this cam be alleviated with hitemp paint both inside and outside (or just inside if you want the chrome).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      mine is from chromeintakes. works good, the couplers are fine as well. i used their entire kit.

difference between more expensive and cheaper intakes is mostly heat soak of the materials. but this cam be alleviated with hitemp paint both inside and outside (or just inside if you want the chrome).
      I don't really care for the chrome, I would paint it in a heartbeat. I just read through a few threads about hydrolocked engines and I have another question: are you using any sort of bypass valve? (like the $50 AEM one from eBay)? How high does the cone sit in the fender well? I think I'm going to re-use my K&N 3" cone filter I already have, just on the end of the ChromeIntakes since I already spent 60 or 70 on it earlier at pep-boys...

Also the hitemp paint, does that have to be cured after painting (like in the oven)? If so, does just a regular kitchen oven work? And how do you get the paint inside the tube without major runs.. I can imagine spraying it in there, but I can also imagine it running pretty bad.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

runs on the inside dont really matter? you wont see them and i doubt you get a run big enough to hinder flow..

the filter sits like in my build thread.. i posted a picture through the fog hole.

i dont have the by pass, no problems. just stay out of standing water.

dont cure paint in you house oven you wont get rid of the smell imho. i never cured mine it hold up.

Thanks

runs on the inside dont really matter? you wont see them and i doubt you get a run big enough to hinder flow..

the filter sits like in my build thread.. i posted a picture through the fog hole.

i dont have the by pass, no problems. just stay out of standing water.

dont cure paint in you house oven you wont get rid of the smell imho. i never cured mine it hold up.
      Just out of curiosity, which paint did you use? just any high temp engine paint will do? And did you sand down the chrome surface so the paint sticks better before you sprayed? Also, i take it using the spray can should be fine, right? I don't have access to the paint gun right now...

Also, in the pictures in you thread it looks like you just cut out the piece of original intake that held the mass flow control sensor and mated it to the chromeintakes pipe, was there no hole for it in the piping? The eBay listing said mine should come with an adapter... or is that the adapter that comes with it?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I hope I can answer your question. I'm currently running a chromIntake on my car. If you go to my build thread you can see the intake alittle next to my painted engine cover. I went with a CAI and i like it alot. Only thing is when you car is on park you can hear the pipe hiting the metal in the engine where the old intake was. But once you start driving you never hear the noise. This is mainly becuase it doesnt have the bracket that AEM intakes have that holds it down to the fender wall.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

to answer the sensor question, my car is an 09. it has a maf sensor. which is also 3" outside diameter fwiw..

but that isn't cut or anything its installed just like factory.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

as for paint i just used some "ceramic" high temp paint on the inside. just took it off the shelf, dont remember the brand but we typically have vht here..

the outside i haven't done, but plan on sanding. primer and painting it to look more factory, but havent hurried because i am function of looks type of guy. and it would still stand out with the blue couplers, so im not going to spend the money hiding those anyhow..

Thanks

as for paint i just used some "ceramic" high temp paint on the inside. just took it off the shelf, dont remember the brand but we typically have vht here..

the outside i haven't done, but plan on sanding. primer and painting it to look more factory, but havent hurried because i am function of looks type of guy. and it would still stand out with the blue couplers, so im not going to spend the money hiding those anyhow..
      Thanks for all the info. How would you hide the blue couplers besides just buying another color coupler?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

By buying other color couplers which were @ $10 each for black plus shipping. Would make my $32 intake be a $62 intake. So it's just not worth it to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast