•  

Thread: Chevy Cruze ?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Chevy Cruze ?

Apparently the Chevy Cruze in Europe has the same engine as the 2009+ Aveos, but it has more HP and Torque.
      The Chevy Cruze has 111 HP and 113 Torque compared to 106 HP for the Aveo. Could anyone guess what the difference could be?
      I've been looking at pictures comparing the two, and the main difference seems to be the intake box. Could that really add 5HP ?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      most likely its emissions requirements of the different countries and programming..

But our 09+ aveo have the closest relation to the Z16XEP engines, there is a Z16XER that is rated for 10 more hp as well. plus a few others like the Z16LER and Z16LET which are factory turbo versions with almost 200 hp.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I'm still working on researching the differences as well, be nice if we could get some tech info directly from GM. I'm hoping the 1.8L will have some similar parts since it is available in North America but i'm not holding my breath.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      from my understanding, the 1.6 is a stroked 1.4 (non usa only, not cruze engine), the 1.8 is a bored 1.6. SO the 1.4-1.8 family 1 ecotec engines use the same block/internals/head. BUT that is info from europe, asia, and africa. Since the CRUZE is supposed to be fully produced in the us, there may have been changes.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      From what I have gathered so far it seems like its all in engine tuning, though I can't say for sure since I have yet to find anything definitive. Its possible maybe the emissions system has a part to play as well, and maybe a small part from the intake design also. If it is just tuning I wonder why GM tuned it the way they did rather than having it compete more with the Fit/Versa in terms of HP.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Mainly emissions, but they were not really competing with the other cars in the segment with the aveo, especially in the united states. In this segment, price, warranty and mpg's are the biggest things, not like the fit or versa has much more power than the aveo anyways.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      "emissions" is more than just out the tail pipe..

US cars are often detuned to use a little less gas per pedal position than the rest of the world. It is also typical that tuning for different octanes offered, types of driver (aveo is a "big" car in some countries where it is a starter little econo box here), and reliability (some manufacturers detune engines to have less recall work).

But if you look at global cars and can fine the ones with the same engines, historically european etc cars with the same engines offer a few more hp.. one reason why bmw, JDM, vw, mercedes, etc all have homeland engine swap as a desirable commodity here.