•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 Aveo Engine Issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

'04 Aveo Engine Issues

Hope you guys can help, as I'm getting desperate with this car...

Anyhow, basically what happened to my little automatic 04 Aveo 5 was that my timing belt broke 3 days before the appointment to change came (just my luck).
      The car is slightly out of warranty so dealership work is out of the question (yes I know I waited too long to change the belt)
      I took it to a local mechanic who told me he could get me a replacement engine (2006 - 15,000km) for $1900 to which I agreed to.
      He replaced the engine, and 2 days after I picked up the car (and paid him) the check engine light came on, as I drove it back to his shop the check engine light began to flash and I noticed it wouldn't shift into 4th gear.
      He kept this car for a month trying to figure our what's wrong, claiming he has no clue what the codes mean.
      (P1781, P0300, P0700, P2610)
      I got pissed and took it to a dealership myself since he was getting nowhere.
      Dealership came back to me and said that the sparkplugs & wires were no good (he installed my old ones!!)
      and that in order to do a proper compression test I need a tune up.
      So I shelled out the $300 for the tune up, and $100 for the diagnostic.
      Now codes P0300 and P1781 came up (random misfire & Engine Torque circuit/Transmission Control Module)
      Dealership quoted TSB #05-06-01-030D and said I need new valves, seals, new cylinder head gasket kit.
      That's another $2000 dollars in work!
      My local mechanic insists it's a transmission problem
      The dealership insists it's an engine problem
      And I'm ready to kill them both.

HELP!

Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: '04 Aveo Engine Issues

get a third opinion?

take car to dealership, disconnect battery and walk around lot. half hour later come back to car with dealer and say, "shes been good to me but id like to upgrade." trade for cobalt. end problem.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Buy a cobalt supercharged engine. Transplant engine into Aveo. Wow.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

a compression test and a tune up do not have to happen at the same time..

they are trying to double dip you, you pay for the compression test, they have to take of the wires and spark plugs to do the test.. you pay for the tune up, then they just have to put new parts on instead of your old ones, and you pay a second time for them to remove and replace the wires and plugs.. which they only did once.

also take the car back to the original mechanic with the estimate from the dealer, the engine he bought should have some sort of warranty, based on his install abilities. so he should be able to exchange the engine for another.. without cost to you. However it depnds on the type of agreement he has with the receipt of the engine. MOST reputable engine resellers do offer at least 30 day, some offer a year.

Mechanic garages have insurance for this kind of thing. you could call a lawyer and have his insurance pay for the dealer to fix his install mistakes..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Mike: Not sure where you're at, but here a dealer checks out a trade in thoroughly, this includes a test-drive.
      xiaogary: Yeah, I appreciate your sarcasm

Anyways, does anyone know the location of the TCM & ECM on this car?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

DTC code P0300 this is multi misfire error, there are a lot of reasons why one might get this DTC. Your reason is most likely due to the engine replacement below are some of the reason you might get this DTC my reason is obvious (engine replacement)

Reasons for DTC P0300

1) An engine replacement
      2) An ECM replacement
      3) A harmonic balancer replacement
      4) A crankshaft replacement
      5) A CKP sensor replacement

Unfortunately the only way to clear this up is to run the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure which requires a bidirectional scan tool or a trip to the dealer.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Sorry, I didnt meant to be sarcastic. Apologise if I sound like. Really sorry.

Anyway, I sometimes have P0300 also due to my high compression rebuilt engine. But I have a Scangauge. So I can delete it within 5 seconds as I drive with one hand. Press scan, delete code, then return to normal gauges reading.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

it sounds like thehotrodguy is correct,, your car needs to be "relearned"

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      it sounds like thehotrodguy is correct,, your car needs to be "relearned"
      how or what is the procedure for an ecm to relearn its working enviroment?
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

its not generally something you can do at home unless you have a good scan tool. even a lot of the mom and pop shops cant do it

THIS IS NOT FOR THE AVEO!! JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THE RELEARN THE ECU (its complicated)

CRANKSHAFT VARIATION RELEARN (CASE Learn)

”CASE” means: crankshaft angle sensor error. A crankshaft variation relearn must be performed if:

A diagnostic trouble code of P1336 is present.
      The computer has been replaced or re-programmed.
      The crankshaft position sensor has been replaced.
      The engine, harmonic balancer, clutch, or flywheel have been: disassembled, removed, or replaced.
      The crankshaft position variation learning feature enables the computer to compensate for part manufacturing tolerances. This allows the computer to accurately detect an engine misfire throughout the engine RPM range. The learning process is stored in the computer’s memory and does not have to be repeated unless one or more of the above conditions are present.

THIS IS NOT FOR THE AVEO!! JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THE RELEARN THE ECU (its complicated)

To perform the relearn, proceed as follows:

Connect a scan tool to make sure there are no trouble codes stored in the computer’s memory. If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that aused the code has been eliminated. Also, make sure that the engine coolant (check it when the engine is cold) and oil levels are at an acceptable level.

1. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels. Make sure that the hood is closed.
      2. Start the engine and make sure that the engine coolant temperature is at least 158 degrees F. (70 degrees C.)
      3. Turn the engine off for at least 10 seconds.
      4. Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure (CASE Learn)on your scan tool.
      5. Make sure that the transmission is in Park. Start the engine.
      6. Apply the brakes and hold the pedal firmly.
      7. Follow the scan tool instructions.

Remember: That you are going to increase the engine speed to approximately 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or 5150 RPM. That’s the variation learn fuel cutoff RPM (depending upon the engine), and that it’s important to release the throttle when the engine RPM starts to decrease as a result of the fuel cutoff going into effect. Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage.

8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scan tool indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete. If CASE has not been learned, check for the presence of other power train codes. If any exist, correct the problem, then repeat this procedure.

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scan tool (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.
      2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.
      3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
      4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
      5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.
      6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.
      7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed. Refer to diagram A on page 8.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast