•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't get damaged screw out of air filter box.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JusteR View Post

See if you can tap out the insert, and epoxy in a longer bolt so you can put a nut on top. if that epoxy spins, then you can put a box end on the bottom. HTHY
      Bear in mind that it will be difficult or impossible to keep the press-fit metal insert from turning when the drill bit contacts it in trying to drill it out. Nor can the metal insert be tapped out if it continues to turn in the plastic housing when any torque is put upon it.

Unless there is something I may have missed here, my previous description and assessment of the problem stands to reason.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Unless there is something I may have missed here, my previous description and assessment of the problem stands to reason.
      Unfortunately for me, you all are not mind readers. Tap meant with a hammer. Having not had the problem myself with my Aveo, perhaps I shouldn't be trying to help. With other makes I've encountered, I end up pulling out the air box and finding the bottom of the insert is hex shaped. Its hole is also hex shaped at the bottom but has rounded out.

Bear in mind that it will be difficult or impossible to keep the press-fit metal insert from turning when the drill bit contacts it in trying to drill it out. Nor can the metal insert be tapped out if it continues to turn in the plastic housing when any torque is put upon it.
      By this comment, I gather the insert is captivated in the plastic, and unable to come out the bottom. If there were enough material remaining, one could press or punch out the insert and fashion a washer out of a piece of tin or custom grind a washer, tack it to a nut, and epoxy it in place... but that seems like a lot of work.

See if you can punch out the insert, and epoxy in a longer bolt so you can put a nut on top. if that epoxy spins, then you can put a box end on the bottom. HTHY
      Fixed it... Sorry about the confusion

Bas
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Disaster. I tried to get the bolt out, but the plastic from the box snapped. So the bolt and the insert are out, but the round piece of plastic it was in broke off. I superglued it back (without the metal insert and the bolt) and replaced the lid. It's fine for now, but eventually I'll epoxy in a bolt and secure it with a nut.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      buy a cai?

i would see about buying a new one out of a junk yard (used parts dealer). and then "fixing" and modifying that one so this does not happen again. then install that. I can't see a used air cleaner costing more than $20, and then take your time rebuilding it correctly. And have no down time.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      +1 on recycled stock air box. I'm not into the "cold-air"-air-filters either. I'm also keeping my K&N comments to myself.

Sorry for the sidebar... just thinking out loud.

I take it the inserts are surrounded by plastic

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
      Disaster. I tried to get the bolt out, but the plastic from the box snapped. So the bolt and the insert are out, but the round piece of plastic it was in broke off. I superglued it back (without the metal insert and the bolt) and replaced the lid. It's fine for now, but eventually I'll epoxy in a bolt and secure it with a nut.
      I'm not surprised. That's what I expected might happen, as the threaded insert was close to the rim of the box. But it's not a disaster.

Superglue alone won't work
      , due to the molecular nature of the bond and the direction of force upon it. Use epoxy or body filler and build it up in layers, over the area you glued. Don't epoxy in the bolt - instead build up the surrounding area of the plastic. Actually, if you do a really good job with the epoxy you might be able to get by with reaming out the hole after it has hardened and installing a new screw and nut through the built up area. But don't over-tighten it. Just make it snug enough to help secure that end of the box.
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 07-30-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Bas
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Yeah, I didn't superglue the plastic and then reinsert the bolt, I just superglued it back together and then put the lid back on without the bolt or the insert. (The other three bolts are still there, of course). So there's no force on it. I just glued it so I wouldn't lose the broken off piece of plastic.

Thanks for the tips on the epoxying. I'll get around to it sometime. First I got a leaky valve cover gasket (I hope) to replace.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123