•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air intake mods

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Air intake mods

AND i might add you want to get the largest air filter you can find. Why, the more filter area you have the easier your engine can breathe. If you get one of those tiny cones the surface area can be smaller than the stock filter thus reducing your available intake.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d
      AND i might add you want to get the largest air filter you can find. Why, the more filter area you have the easier your engine can breathe. If you get one of those tiny cones the surface area can be smaller than the stock filter thus reducing your available intake.
      Just make sure it's not TOO big or you may risk going a little lean (sure not enough to ping, but enough to effect power)

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

There is no way a large filter will make you go lean enough for it to make a difference. Many people take out their air filters at the track for the most air possible and you will barely see a difference in a/f ratios.

And FWIW, leaner will always get you more power. There is a point that it becomes unsafe but theoretically, if the engine can take it, the leaner it is, the more power it will make.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      There is no way a large filter will make you go lean enough for it to make a difference. Many people take out their air filters at the track for the most air possible and you will barely see a difference in a/f ratios.

And FWIW, leaner will always get you more power. There is a point that it becomes unsafe but theoretically, if the engine can take it, the leaner it is, the more power it will make.
      I had my car on the dyno, I loss with a larger filter. I switched and got a small amount back and the a/f ratio changed. Plus leaner does not mean more power, you can have all the air you want but without fuel to support it you'll either go boom or not make what you are capable of.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I bought the AEM cold air intake, great fitment and my whole policy is do a quality job the first time. It's $200 but they really did a good job.

This is a video of me installing and then driving the car with the AEM cold air installed. At the time of the video it was the only mod on the car. Turn up the volume to hear how good it makes the engine sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GT84hzEp8

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981

I had my car on the dyno, I loss with a larger filter. I switched and got a small amount back and the a/f ratio changed. Plus leaner does not mean more power, you can have all the air you want but without fuel to support it you'll either go boom or not make what you are capable of.

Your loss on the dyno could have been attributed to a bunch of different things. Did the 2 filters have the same filtering media and orifice sizes? Were they both brand new? Did they have the exact same design (mainly addressing air turbulence with that one)?

I do agree that you will go boom with not enough fuel. But from personal experience tuning cars, the leaner you make it, the more power it will make. I have seen cars gain upwards of 15hp just from leaning it out from 11-1 to 12.5-1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981

Your loss on the dyno could have been attributed to a bunch of different things. Did the 2 filters have the same filtering media and orifice sizes? Were they both brand new? Did they have the exact same design (mainly addressing air turbulence with that one)?

I do agree that you will go boom with not enough fuel. But from personal experience tuning cars, the leaner you make it, the more power it will make. I have seen cars gain upwards of 15hp just from leaning it out from 11-1 to 12.5-1
      One was a K&N big cone used, the other was that crappy Apex or whatever from AutoZone new. The Apex made more power even though the K&N was cleaned before. Apex was used first. I do agree that there could have been outside influences such as temp change or heat soaking that I may not remember (it's been about 2 years at least)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12