•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 cylinder head work on 2006 block?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2005 cylinder head work on 2006 block?

Was wondering if anyone knows if the head off an 05 aveo will work on 06 aveo? Only difference I noticed is the extra oil galley on the 06 is not present on the 05 everything else looks like it will be fine. Also if it is possible will I need a head gasket for 05 0r 06? Thanks in advance

Thanks
      To my knowledge, having just done an engine swap, the 05 head will not work on an 06 block. 04/05 are interchangeable and 06 thru 08 are interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BCAveo View Post
      To my knowledge, having just done an engine swap, the 05 head will not work on an 06 block. 04/05 are interchangeable and 06 thru 08 are interchangeable.

Hope this helps.
      I ended up using the head off the 05 everything bolted up perfect only noticeable difference was the oil galley on the 06 not on the 05 I used the 06 head gasket kit put everything back together and it runs great so yea 04-05 heads work on 06-08

Thanks
      That's good I guess the 05 head blocks off the extra oil galley so now in effect you have an 04/05 engine.

Guess that's a relief after putting it all back together!

Thanks
      Ya 05 head 06 block and intake and everything stayed the same but the head it's a 05/06 hybrid

Thanks
      Realize, however, and I was forgetting, that the 04/05 had an external PCV system where the crankcase vapours (from blow-by) are routed through an external tube about 1" in diameter that runs up to right-hand side of valve cover. The outlet for the crankcase is just below where the starter motor is and the the external tube then runs up to the valve cover (right hand side). You can check part numbers for valve covers and find they don't interchange either for this very reason. The 06/08 engines don't have this (external tube) as I believe the crankcase vapours are integral to the block and cylinder head. That is, the external tube is gone (as found on 04/05 engines) as it is cast into the head and block of the 06 thru 08 engines.

Long story short you may have blocked off your PCV system through a head/ block mismatch.... I compared two engines side by side 2008 vs 2005 which is why I know this. If this is the case the engine can run fine but pressures may build up in crankcase and this will, at some point, sooner or later cause seals to blow out. Weakest ones first I guess, could be oil pan seal or rear main seal, or.... anyways you'll end up with oil leaks.

Those were my observations anyways and why I concluded not interchangeable...

Thanks
      That's definitely good to know I didn't know that. Well its my mom's car so we will see how long it last if any problems come from it I will just swap motors next time its fairly cheap for low mile motors on aveos I found quite a few under $1k shipped so that's the route we will go next time. Thanks for the info definitely appreciated

Thanks
      You could just rig something up fairly easily. Hook up that 1" tube up through a pcv valve (just generic off the shelf item from the local autoparts store), and tee it into manifold vacuum. You would be good as new then.

Thanks
      Welcome for info, just keep an eye on it if leaks do develop least you`ll know why. A low mileage 2008 engine would be best as direct interchange if you change engines.

Not so easy to add PCV system as suggested above because you would have to drill into block to attach fitting. Probably not a good idea. The other half of PCV system is still intact (PCV valve to intake).

Thanks
      Thanks for info Daox I will definitely look into that sounds simple enough and I don't think I would need to drill from the sound of it just t it into the vacuum that's already there but if not that's fine I will just keep an eye on it anyway thanks to all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast