•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2004 Timing Belt questions

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by fitter46 View Post
      New member here. Didn't know if I should start a new thread or continue this one....
      Better to start a new thread because if the OP comes back to this one, then everthing needs to be fully quoted, otherwise you can't tell which conversation you're in. Hopefully that won't happen here.

IMO, a full engine rebuild as a first-time DIY is a taking quite a gamble, unless you have an experienced engine guy helping you out. It only takes one stupid little thing done wrong to hose the entire job, and you won't find that out until the whole job is finished and you go to start it up. I would never try a rebuild for the first time on a daily driver that I'm depending on, unless there was no other choice.

The head/valve replacement however is a reasonable DIY which a number of guys here have successfully done, and would be much less costly than the numbers that you posted. The down side of doing that is that there may be damage down below that you can't see, so it's somewhat a roll of the dice. But I think it works out most of the time. So if what you can see of the block looks good after the head is pulled, then you might consider replacing the valves or buying a new head if that's a better option for you.

Just curious - did you replace the WP and pulleys with each new belt job, every other time, or something else?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Ok, new guy doing the same thing here. Where do you guys find a valve spring compressor that has jaws that will fit down into the pockets to undo the keepers?

Also, How do you get the valves to receed back into the head far enough to allow the spring to compress enough to undo the keepers?

This is an '06 Aveo that my son in law bought from a tennant for back rent. All of the intake valves are bent , but it doesn't look like any of the exhaust valves touched. Do you cut the heads off, or can you rebend the valves enough to let them retrack enough to allow keeper removal?
      thanks,
      Mike Sal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12