•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st mod! CAI on an 08 LS

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      honestly, this procedure is one step beyond just changing a serpentine belt, which is routine maintenance.

i remember owning cars that you had to have a spare fan belt (or 5) in the back, including some serpentine belt cars, just incase it broke, you could replace it on the side of the road. which i have done on a few occasions as well.

Honestly, the thing i am surprised by in this group is the number of people who attempt the timing belt as their first adventure into mechanics. I understand it from the cost of labor, but the cost of getting it wrong is much higher. But then again, that is why others of us are here, to help people figure it out.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo_Joe View Post
      Ok, cool! Still leaning toward the Chrome Intake... no complaints about that filter? I am planning to jack up the car (hopefully not in a bad way ; ) and take off the front wheel; 1st time on this car, for practice in case of a flat, and to look at the area... The underdrive pulley looks like it requires the same wheel to be removed, and I am thinking about getting one of those, too! So... when you say "Drop the liner" ... what do you mean?
      the liner is the black plastic in the wheel well, the very bottom of the liner that is under the corner of the bumper has a few 7mm bolts. the underdrive pulley would be an easy job if you look over the area and familiarize yourself with the routing of the drive belt and the tensioner. to get to the pulley, their is a black plastic cover behind the right front wheel that is secured with 2 10mm bolts at the top. Its been a few months since I did my timing belt (someone on here has an excellent timing belt write up with pics) but if I remeber correctly, the crank bolt that has to be removed for the pulley is a 19mm

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Heck yeah! I am very thankful for those imparting their acquired knowledge! I am learning a LOT here... like about the timing belt; I picked up that if anything goes wrong with that, your engine's screwed... In Daox's write up about installing the underdrive pulley, it mentioned something to be careful of doing (or not doing) around the timing belt, and that got me a little anxious about doing that one... I do plan to try the CAI; depending on how smoothly that goes, I'll see about the underdrive pulley. I do WANT to start learning to do some stuff, but if there's a high risk of messing up my car, being a TOTAL novice... I will still do the mod, but have somebody who's insured to work on cars do it! I'll be hanging around, and stuff I learn, I'll be happy to pass on to future newbies! Thanks a lot, guys!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Weirdo_Joe, this is how you gain experience by doing. I learned to work on cars with my Grandfather (he owned a VW shop) and from own Dad who was too cheap for others. I consider this to have been valuable experience as I do most of the work myself. I am not the best and I do make mistakes. But at least if I make a mistake I am not spending hundreds of dollars to have somebody else make that same mistake.

The cool thing about working on cars is collecting tools. Tools allows us to contribute and improve things. Do you have car/geek friends? Borrow their tools and help and get started. Have you installed the underdrive pulley. That is an excellent first project.
      No, I'm afraid I don't have any friends where I live who work on cars or have any tools... I may be able to borrow some from Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc. As far as mistakes, I know what you mean about doing it yourself are as opposed to paying someone to make one... I'd rather make it, in theory... but the mechanic's covered by insurance in the event he makes a mistake. If I mess it up, I'm screwed. This is my 1st "Nice" car, and I can't afford to lose it to one of my mistakes... BUT, the CAI looks like a more forgiving project... slightly more margin for error. Is this a terrible misconception on my part? This was the first thing I considered doing.

Thanks
      Seriously now! I am ordering my Chrome Intakes later today (Monday) After I wake up! I am excited. I AM planning to do it myself, and I got one main question at this point-should I plan on using a jack stand? Anybody do a CAI with just the jack for changing tires?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you should always use a jack stand for safety.
      but as long as you are not under the car, it is parked level, and such, you can get away with using the scissor jack.

to answer the margin for error question. yes, it will not hurt anything major. just be sure to swap the sensors carefully and to seal them into the new intake. this is probably one of the easiest projects, and requires few tools.

Thanks
      Cool! Yeah, I'm REALLY excited about doing it! I just placed a bid on one of the Chrome Intakes on eBay! It seems like they said it comes with instructions... I appreciate the tips on areas to take special care around. The sensor swapping IS definitely something I'm kinda anxious about; I HOPE there are detailed instructions. If so, I'm good about reading instructions generally; whereas a lot of people NEVER read directions on stuff. Also, it says "2 of 3 inch pipe" : P Is this a typo, or car talk I don't know? Do they mean 2 or 3 inch pipe? I'd like to order the aem bypass valve now as well... do you know what size to get for certain, rabbit? Thanks a mil... hope you are well, good sir!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i'm not 100% sure which bypass you want, my intake is off an accord. and wasnt exactly 3"

2 of 3 inch pipe sounds like a packing list.. youll have a quantity of 2 pipes that are 3" diameter.

i dont remember if directions were there or not, i'm one of those people that dont read them.

Thanks
      I'm not sure, either! They all looked more or less the same-the AEM ones on ebay- just different sizes. All I want is something that will prevent hydro-locking. From what I've read, it looks like all of them technically turn into a short-ram intake if the filter sucks water, and AEM dominates the market with a patented design... everyone on here suggests AEM, & I will go with them. And after the size of pipe is determined, are there still more types and options? Any suggestions?
      That would explain the wording... : P
      As for directions-It's a habit, for me. Somewhere, you became VERY knowledeable about cars, and I appreciate you sharing SO much!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      order the intake and measure the pipe size when it comes in.. thats the size you want.

but yes, thats how it works. all of them essentially work the same.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast