•  

Thread: 1.6 head Q's. valve guides

Thanks

1.6 head Q's. valve guides

Doing my first cyl head off an A16Dms aka e-tec II in an 06. I see I can get new guides for this head, when doing bent valves I assume I should also change the guides, my Q: has anyone R/R'd a set of guides on the board? Any tips, or caveats with these heads? I plan to just heat and tap like any other import head. Done tons of valve jobs, just never one of these GMDAT ones.

Thanks
      Derek

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If you have done it before you know what to expect. I haven't done a Daewoo head either, but it looks straight forward. IF you look at the new replacements before you get started the design would alert you if there are any surprises.

When i did my etecII head i replaced all 16 valves, but did not do any of the guides, two had slight cracking and mushrooming, but i sanded them all smooth and used them without taking any out (like a mini port job). Worked great. The only issue my engine had was I also reused the lifters, i think they were damaged what the valves bent. So they were a little loud on start up and then had a slight tick while running. But it was on a super tight budget (repaired broken belt for less that $100). But I would look at tossing new one in if i was doing one now.

Thanks
      Thanks Rabbit. I did not think of the lifter's taking a hit. - Do you know if it is 'OK' to just replace lifters with new units, or would I be looking at doing all new lifters and reground cams? I have done quite a few Suzuki G10/13 lifter changes and have had success just changing out the noisy lifters, and re using the cam as is. The bucket lifter design is identical to the 16v head in the Aveos. Since I have not sourced (or even found) reground cams, I may try re using the cams.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i would think in this case i would just do lifters. your stock, should not have a lot of wear. Unless the cam looks worn, you would be fine. its not like the old days with valve jobs and setting lash and such.