•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 04 timing chain got me...what next?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if you are mechanically handy, understand that things like torquing the head need to be don in specific order, and if you are worried about space and electronics then label each connection (tape and a marker) and then list them to double check, you will be ok. the only strange thing on the aveo, is verifying the timing (a lot of people end up a tooth off) and the water pump turn thing.. which is what i attribute the tooth being off from.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Well, I got the timing belt covers off and the belt isn't broken but the teeth on the belt around the crankshaft are stripped out. It looks like the crankshaft turns but doesn't turn the belt. Is it possible I didn't damage the valves?

Thanks
      Its possible, but pretty unlikely.

Thanks
      I got the head out and took it to a machine shop. Every valve was bent. It looks like it'll cost about $440 to replace the valves and refurbish the head. I'll replace the water pump, water pump gasket, serpentine belt, timing belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. I guess I'll need a new head bolt set and head gasket set, too. Is there anything else that I'm forgeting? Also, will I need to take the car to the dealer to reset or "relearn" anything?

Thanks for the replies; they have been very helpful.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      how did the bottom end look, may be more damage down there

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      you could have bought my Aveo from me LOL. my lightly modified 04 is for sale $3000

Thanks
      An update...I got the head and everything bolted back on. I had a lone dangling wire and you guys helped me figure out it was the wire to the coolant sensor, which I had forgotten to install on the head.

I started the car up and it smoked like crazy. I checked under the car and coolant was leaking from what looked like the backside. My first thought was that I hadn't tightened the coolant sensor good enough. I found that the bottom radiator hose was leaking but it didn't appear to be as bad as it first had. I drove the car up the street and back. Parked it the garage, popped the hood and the thermostat housing had burst and was steaming. I ordered a themostat and housing from Autozone and it'll be here in a couple of hours; they didn't know if it was plastic or metal.

Thanks
      I got an aluminum thermostat housing and fixed that problem. I then noticed that one of the fuel injectors was leaking fuel, took that apart and found that an o-ring had a bite taken out of it. I got the fuel rail back and started the car.

Now, I have a new problem...I drove the car around the block a few times and while stopped at a stop sign the oil pressure light started flickering and came on. The oil pressure light comes on only when the car is stopped at a low idle but when driving it goes off. What gives?

The car has only 64,000 miles on it.
      Last edited by oinkjackson; 08-21-2011 at 09:10 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Low oil pressure can be caused by a few different things, worst being worned main bearings, also if u have the leak on the injector still or anything that screws up the fuel mixture could cause the idle to be lower than it should(that would also cause hesitation and erradic running) too low idle will cause the low pressure light to came on(u cannot adjust the idle by the way, its controled by the on board computer). Basicly the car will have to be diagnosed properly to find the cause and hopefully someone else here can help u more. Sounds like u had a lot of issues with this car and I hate to say it but it may be time to move on to another car...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      did you change the oil after pulling the head off? did you check it? odds are good you go coolant in there anyhow.

whether or not that relates, i can not say, but you might need to check that before really writing it off.

if it is actual pressure issue it could be a few things, but you should check the actual pressure, not just an idiot light.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast