•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your Aveo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Are you happy with your Aveo?

I bought my 2006 Aveo hatchback because I wanted something that could hold gear. I've been good with maintenance but not with how I treat it - I rock climb regularly and some of the roads really need a 4 wheel drive with high clearance. I've ripped off the plastic shroud at the bottom from going over rough roads, and probably need new shocks, but it's behaved well.

That said, I understand it's an econobox and generally gets an F in reliability. If you buy American you have to be ready to turn some wrenches. It's already had a bad throttle body replaced under warranty, a clutch throw out bearing replaced, again under warranty, and other miscellaneous problems. Within the 3 years of warranty, it was at the dealer's at least 6 times. If I didn't work on my own cars, I would definitely have gone with Toyota or Subaru, not GM.

Bottom line - I'm satisfied with what I got for the money.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

That's funny, I also had mine in for a throttle body and a throw out bearing. Also for an alternator and a coolant sensor.

I bought mine because I needed a cheap car with warranty because I was going to school. The payments on a new Aveo were the same as on a used Sunfire/Cavalier.

So far so good. Hasn't let me on the side of the road...just at home once.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

My main problem with my Aveo? It's bloody small. It is exactly what I was looking for in a car (small, 4-door, fuel efficient, manual transmission). I didn't realize how bad my knees were until about a week after I got this thing (50 minute commute to work each way).

Also, the creaking suspension is driving me batty! It sounds like the car is 20 years old already.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hooah212002
      My main problem with my Aveo? It's bloody small. It is exactly what I was looking for in a car (small, 4-door, fuel efficient, manual transmission). I didn't realize how bad my knees were until about a week after I got this thing (50 minute commute to work each way).

Also, the creaking suspension is driving me batty! It sounds like the car is 20 years old already.
      Well, that could be easily fixed by changing out your stock springs and shocks with either aftermarket ones or coilovers. Plus it lets you drop your ride for better handling. There are a LOT of posts on this forum about that.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12

Well, that could be easily fixed by changing out your stock springs and shocks with either aftermarket ones or coilovers. Plus it lets you drop your ride for better handling. There are a LOT of posts on this forum about that.
      Actually, the creaking is from the sway bar bushings. The service manual says to put teflon tape on the swaybar to fix the creaking. I have yet to try it, but apparently if you just lube them up, they stop making noise.

Espresso...
      Thanks

...i saw this topic and thought i'd put my 2 cents in...

i enjoy my ride and have since i bought it brand new from the dealership. i needed to replace what i was driving before, a '92 olds eighty-eight. the old car needed alot of work and i thought, 'hey... for the same amount of money im going to spend for repairs, i can buy a new Wave and spend that money on monthly payments over a year.' it turned out to be a good idea. i needed something good on gas (better than the olds), since i was going to commute to a job in a nearby city.

i bought a base model hatch, you know, the ones with roll-up windows and manual locks (lol!), but i did get an automatic trans. i was used to the convenience.

i opted for the 100,000km warranty and im glad that i did. my front wheel bearing went, the throttle body froze and the airbag system needed to be fixed. im glad i had a good dealership, they fixed those problems.

im now at 147,000km and still running great. i did break the plastic shroud underneath the engine (i ran over a tire without a rim on the highway), but that's ok. i needed to be more careful. i can't plow through things like i did with the olds.

oh yeah, the front fenders are fairly easy to replace.

Thanks

I'm not jumping of joy for the Aveo but somewhat happy.

It runs very nice! It's comfy and does the job right! Bringing me from A to B!

What I'm unhappy about is the panels in the car making creaking / cracking noises for every bump that I hit. If it's not that it's the front suspension.

Other than that, no complaints!
      2008 Aveo LS Sedan Manual - Flame Red
      Detailer at heart!

Espresso...
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
      I'm not jumping of joy for the Aveo but somewhat happy.

It runs very nice! It's comfy and does the job right! Bringing me from A to B!

What I'm unhappy about is the panels in the car making creaking / cracking noises for every bump that I hit. If it's not that it's the front suspension.

Other than that, no complaints!
      yeah, i hear all that too. im so used to it i just tune it out and tune in the radio.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12

Actually, the creaking is from the sway bar bushings. The service manual says to put teflon tape on the swaybar to fix the creaking. I have yet to try it, but apparently if you just lube them up, they stop making noise.
      Frog, what exactly are you supposed to put teflon tape on? The bushing? I have the creaking and I would like to fix it.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

The service manual says to remove the bushings, put some teflon tape on the swaybar and reinstall the bushings. I haven't tried yet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast