•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck ignition cylinder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Stuck ignition cylinder

I have a 2006 aveo5 hatchback, none of my keys will turning the ignition cylinder anymore. Does anyone know how to drill out the inside to release cylinder locking pin so I can turn cylinder to acc to remove and replace ignition cylinder?

Thanks

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bandf View Post
      I have a 2006 aveo5 hatchback, none of my keys will turning the ignition cylinder anymore. Does anyone know how to drill out the inside to release cylinder locking pin so I can turn cylinder to acc to remove and replace ignition cylinder?

Thanks
      The keys that were designed for our Aveos are a very big PITA. The keys blanks are difficult to find, difficult to cut and reproduce accurately, even when using an unused, original key as a source.

Before you do anything else, try having a new key made. I hope you have an original key with little or no wear on it. Go to a professional locksmith and pay whatever it takes to have him cut a duplicate key correctly. It's easier and cheaper than tearing the lock cylinder out.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      The keys that were designed for our Aveos are a very big PITA. The keys blanks are difficult to find, difficult to cut and reproduce accurately, even when using an unused, original key as a source.

Before you do anything else, try having a new key made. I hope you have an original key with little or no wear on it. Go to a professional locksmith and pay whatever it takes to have him cut a duplicate key correctly. It's easier and cheaper than tearing the lock cylinder out.
      I was thinking about that Thymeclock but I think my keys are too far worn out, I'll have to look in my owners manual and see if there is a key code in there.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      This is what my key looks like, not large at all. Couldn't I just buy the pictured cylinder and keys from Rock auto to replace my wore out one.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post

Well I was able to get a new key cut from key code....no luck on turning the ignition switch with the new key. So now I ask again, does anyone know the right location on the face of the ignition cylinder to drill out the locking pin so that I might be able to turn the ignition cylinder to accessory position to take out old ignition cylinder.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bandf View Post
      Well I was able to get a new key cut from key code....no luck on turning the ignition switch with the new key. So now I ask again, does anyone know the right location on the face of the ignition cylinder to drill out the locking pin so that I might be able to turn the ignition cylinder to accessory position to take out old ignition cylinder.
      Where did you have the new key cut? In my personal experience with having these keys copied, the key machine has to be adjusted very precisely or the key that is produced won't turn in the cylinder. Go to a good locksmith who can make a key accurately. It's worth the premium you will pay him for making a good key that will work.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well Thymeclock, I did as you suggested (locksmith not dealer ship) that's two keys now, still no go. So now I'm suspecting the ignition cylinder is toast.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Any GM dealer can get you the key code. Just talk to a part guy - they have access to that info. Should be no charge on an '06.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      Any GM dealer can get you the key code. Just talk to a part guy - they have access to that info. Should be no charge on an '06.
      Maybe I'll try that first, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast