•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-Star - limited on the Aveo???

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

On-Star - limited on the Aveo???

Here is a link to an old post I didn't want to threadomancy:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/s...opinion-11480/

But here is my deal: Just bought a new Aveo. New as in 2011. OnStar was NOT a decision making factor either way in my purchase, but the GM web site and literature sure pumped it up!

I was told I get 6 free months of "Directions and Connections." This is supposed to be something where I push the button and the rep can "program in" driving directions. I assumed it would behave much like a GPS- dash mount thing, that once programmed in a voice over the radio would tell me as I approach a street where I need to turn ("turn left in 300 yards...) IE, I thought the GPS would actively sense where I was and guide me if I miss a turn, recalibrate directions, tell me how many miles left, etc.

The first time I tired it the guy told me the driving directions right there on the spot (I was just testing the system). Like, "well, it's only 2 miles away, just go straight on this Hwy and turn right on Smith street in 2 blocks, that's it." I was thinking, maybe they are trained to just do it that way if it's less than 2 miles.

The second time the rep said something like, "Oh, it's not working, let me connect you to IT." Great, I thought. After a brief hold time, the IT gal told me that the Aveo does not have the "required braking system" to allow "downloaded directions." What does that have to do with it? I think maybe it has to do with detecting speed or sudden stops?

The best they can do for me is record verbal driving directions onto the phone's memory. I can punch the phone button and say "advisor repeat" or something like that, and listen to the directions which the advisor had read (in an accent I didn't understand), and pause and restart them. Basically, it's no different than if I had just read directions to myself on a tape recorder & then play it back, or have my passenger read to me! Other than getting the rep a starting point, the GPS does nothing in this situation.

Like I said, OnStar was not something that influenced me, but I wanted to share so no one else uses it as a selling point. I did buy 300 minutes of hands-free calling just for urgent situations.

Also, (I knew this, but just incase) the remote door unlock doesn't work unless you have power windows. This is obvious, but it's still in all the literature.

I definately WON'T be renewing "Directions and Connections" after the 6 free months runs out. I can read a map.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
      Here is a link to an old post I didn't want to threadomancy:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/s...opinion-11480/

But here is my deal: Just bought a new Aveo. New as in 2011. OnStar was NOT a decision making factor either way in my purchase, but the GM web site and literature sure pumped it up!

I was told I get 6 free months of "Directions and Connections." This is supposed to be something where I push the button and the rep can "program in" driving directions. I assumed it would behave much like a GPS- dash mount thing, that once programmed in a voice over the radio would tell me as I approach a street where I need to turn ("turn left in 300 yards...) IE, I thought the GPS would actively sense where I was and guide me if I miss a turn, recalibrate directions, tell me how many miles left, etc.

The first time I tired it the guy told me the driving directions right there on the spot (I was just testing the system). Like, "well, it's only 2 miles away, just go straight on this Hwy and turn right on Smith street in 2 blocks, that's it." I was thinking, maybe they are trained to just do it that way if it's less than 2 miles.

The second time the rep said something like, "Oh, it's not working, let me connect you to IT." Great, I thought. After a brief hold time, the IT gal told me that the Aveo does not have the "required braking system" to allow "downloaded directions." What does that have to do with it? I think maybe it has to do with detecting speed or sudden stops?

The best they can do for me is record verbal driving directions onto the phone's memory. I can punch the phone button and say "advisor repeat" or something like that, and listen to the directions which the advisor had read (in an accent I didn't understand), and pause and restart them. Basically, it's no different than if I had just read directions to myself on a tape recorder & then play it back, or have my passenger read to me! Other than getting the rep a starting point, the GPS does nothing in this situation.

Like I said, OnStar was not something that influenced me, but I wanted to share so no one else uses it as a selling point. I did buy 300 minutes of hands-free calling just for urgent situations.

Also, (I knew this, but just incase) the remote door unlock doesn't work unless you have power windows. This is obvious, but it's still in all the literature.

I definately WON'T be renewing "Directions and Connections" after the 6 free months runs out. I can read a map.
      Thanks for the heads up. I just took possession of my brand new Aveo on tuesday. I didnt buy any of the minutes though, despite their attempts at a hard sale. I like the idea of onstar for the theft deterrence and accident reports. I guess its a good thing I already have a gps unit.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      do you have power door locks? if not, you can't call and have the, unlock you car if you lock the keys in there.

i thought the onstar was stupid, whether in the aveo or an escalade.

Thanks
      As far as I am aware, all the 2011 Aveos has power locks. I have the base LS and I have power locks but crank windows. I also have no a/c so mine was the bare bones version. The key is made with the fob built in it as one whole unit.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      heh, my 09 has no power locks and i had my fun asking onstar to unlock the car.. several times.

Thanks
      I can see where that could be met with some difficulty.

Thanks
      I can assure you that my 2011 Aveo - brand new - does not have power locks. There is no key Fob, just a key. Plain, ordinary key. I know most dealers order them with power locks, but you don't "have" to.

Thanks
      Red, then I stand corrected. But, does your '11 have onstar?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Kasstastrophy View Post
      Red, then I stand corrected. But, does your '11 have onstar?
      yes, and I have used it a few times. The hands free calling is nice, but, I don't know if it's nice enough to keep it beyound the free period.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i agree, would rather have the USB interface on the radio for my own cell phone (like in europe) instead of the new phone number via onstar.. i believe their usb allows hands free calling through the radio? still talk to the phone as a mic, but the person you are speaking with is on the speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast