•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: snow woes

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

snow woes

so i have been extremely disappointed with my car in the snow. i have an 09 sedan with 5 speed. i'm in buffalo and no stranger to winter driving. there have been days i longed to be back in my old mustang because it was easier to get around in. just curious how others were fairing.

There was a time when people used to ask me at a stoplight "how much HP you pushing?".....with $4/gallon looming, they now ask "what kinda mileage you get?". I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: snow woes

The car is great with good winter tires. I can beat anything that's on the road here no problem. The stock all season tires suck.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      The car is great with good winter tires. I can beat anything that's on the road here no problem. The stock all season tires suck.

yeah, that's kinda what i figured. but since i'll be moving to san antonio this summer, i can't see spending the money on new tires and will just suck it up for the next few months.
      There was a time when people used to ask me at a stoplight "how much HP you pushing?".....with $4/gallon looming, they now ask "what kinda mileage you get?". I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

im still in my all seasons, and the car does well but you have to drive it completely different.
      i noticed the back end likes to swing around a bit, so put some wait back there..
      but i have only gotten stuck trying to go up my alley, which is unplowed and unsalted.

my plan was to put snows on with weight in the back, i think the car would do well with that.
      lowering the car has also changed the handling to a positive, so that might help snow handling as well.
      but i dont know how this affects snow driving other than i seem to plow for my neighbors.

we had 2" of snow, 2" of ice/mix followed by 2" of snow and now i think we are getting 4-6" pf snow today.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

i still got my summer tires on!!!! no probs here other than like what rabbit said and having the back end kick out a bit when i make turns, but otherwise u just gotta drive smart and know where u can and cant go. if u see a snowbank higher than 8 inches, dont try drivin thru it and here in chicago it sux (dunno if this is happenin in other cities) cus the mayor announced that the plows and salt trucks will only be out half as much this year due to a tight city budget... or in other words, mayor daleys wasteful spending and schemes.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I have fairly new set of all-weathers on my 06 LS (stock set went 34k).

I've had no problems getting around in bad New England weather (especially this year!). I think the car is fine in the snow/ice.

Then again, I've always believed winter driving breaks down like this:

15% the tires
      15% the car
      70% the driver.

--Mike

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

coming from my other car that has way to much power to the front wheels, the aveo is GREAT. I rocked the stock all seasons ass winter. Now I didnt get nearly as much snow as the rest of you but the car handled it very well compared to my other car.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcthumber
      I have fairly new set of all-weathers on my 06 LS (stock set went 34k).

I've had no problems getting around in bad New England weather (especially this year!). I think the car is fine in the snow/ice.

Then again, I've always believed winter driving breaks down like this:

15% the tires
      15% the car
      70% the driver.

--Mike
      I'm not sure that's quite right... my impreza with snow tires, I couldn't even tell if it was icy... my aveo with summer tires... well it was pretty bad out there... in fact my subie with summer tires I could only go about 30 on snow/ice, otherwise I would be risking an off road excursion. With the snow tires on, it wasn't much different than driving on gravel.

My old bronco was the same way, little studded tires were great, but the 31X10.5's were straight up dangerous on the ice. This was in Montana where driving in snow was quite a regular occurrence.

I fixed it though by moving to Vegas... now I only have snow maybe once every couple years.

Thanks

I put a set of Firestone winterforce snow tires on and its like driving a rally car, We got about 10 inches of snow the other day, every one at work was stuck in the parking lot so when they plowed part of it everybody moved to the plowed part except me i just plowed right on through, and with the air dam on the front I only have 5" of clearance...everybody was shocked I didnt get stuck
      Signature Autoworks

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i still have my bridgestone hp50's on, they are almost worn to the wearbars and the car is still pretty decent in the snow. granted i need new tires but i'm gonna pt on a good set of all seasons. i never liked the stock kuhmo tires that it came with.

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast